Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fed up with the 2nd R4 compressor, I have had this one for a year, it has less than 1 hours use. Last month I had to recharge the system with no sign of a leak other than a little oil on the R4 pressure relief valve. I'm starting to notice more oil on the brackets under the compressor now.

So Vintage Air says they have a kit for the Small block , but it doesn't work on the Big Block, to convert to 508 Sanden.

It seems to me the cradle that holds the R4 would be the same so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work?

Has anyone out there, made this conversion. I have the ZZ 502 crate motor with the original Serpentine accessory drive kit.

Other than the actual mounting of the compressor I had a few other concerns. The Sanden has a 7 groove clutch and the R4 has a 6 groove, will that work?

Also the R4 uses PAG 100 oil, will that be compatible?

I was hoping that since everything in the system is new and clean I could swap the compressor , the 2 hoses evacuate the system and recharge.

Is this just wish full thinking? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your only concerned for replacement is leaking then the only things that matter is proper mounting and the oils. If the oil is different then you should flush the system of the old after removing the accumulator and then replace the oil with the proper amount for the whole system and then replace the accumulator also. I have an alternator on my ls2 that has one more groove than the old one and it doesn't seem to have made a damn bit of difference although I plan on swapping pulleys whenever I get around to it, you know, the old round toit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also, you dont want to put all the oil for the whole system in the compressor. You can probably find the amounts online but so much goes in the pump and then you add so much to each component to spread it through out the system. Too much in the pump at start up can damage it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R4 swap to Sanden 508

Thanks for that info. Knowing the belts should work is one less issue. I was hoping someone who has done the swap could tell me which mount kit they used. The kit that Vintage air sells is basically 2 brackets with nuts bolts and spacers is made for the small block. they say it wont work on the big block but don't know why. My system has a dryer, but like you say if the oil is different I will have to flush it and change the dryer, same as if it had an accumulator.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for that info. Knowing the belts should work is one less issue. I was hoping someone who has done the swap could tell me which mount kit they used. The kit that Vintage air sells is basically 2 brackets with nuts bolts and spacers is made for the small block. they say it wont work on the big block but don't know why. My system has a dryer, but like you say if the oil is different I will have to flush it and change the dryer, same as if it had an accumulator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts