Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the Salvage Yard this weekend to pickup a GM radio to install in my old 29. I am sure there is a connector on the back rather than terminals, I need help determining which wire is which function.....THANKS....DAVE

·
Registered
160 Posts
could you tell us what color wires there are? what does the connector look like? more detail would help.

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
most gm's are the same....
orange- dimmer (if applicable)
yellow- constant power
red- ignition
black- ground
blue power antenna (if applicable)

speaker wires (can't remember if front and rear are correct..you'll when know when you fade)

front right
gray- speaker positive
gray w/blk stripe- speaker negative

front left
white- positive
white w/ blk stripe- negative

rear left
purple- positive
purple w/blk stripe - negative

rear right
green- positive
green w/ blk stripe- negative

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rod. That was the info I was looking for. I have not been to Yard yet to make selection.....THANKS...DAVE

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I am going to the Salvage Yard this weekend to pickup a GM radio to install in my old 29. I am sure there is a connector on the back rather than terminals, I need help determining which wire is which function.....THANKS....DAVE
Just out of curiosity...why a salvage yard radio and not an aftermarket? Most after market radios boost more wattage, have more options, and are generally better looking. Like I said, just curious.

Kevin

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HEY KEVIN:

I am putting this in my Shay, which is a 1929 Ford Model A fiberglass reproduction. The existing radio/cassette player is mounted under the dash and of very little quality. I can buy a GM radio with cassette player that is about same size for about $ 40.00 that will satisfy my needs. With the short wheel base and stiff suspension of a Model A I don't think a CD player would stand the road vibration. The station selectability of most inexpensive analog radios in the low price field are not good but the GM digital is much better. This is by no means a high caliber installation, as the largest speakers that I can get in under the seat are 4X6. All I am looking for is basic TUNES. Pictures of car are at http://groups.msn.com/modelashaypictures DAVE

·
Registered
175 Posts
RodFather said:
most gm's are the same....
orange- dimmer (if applicable)
yellow- constant power
red- ignition
black- ground
blue power antenna (if applicable)

speaker wires (can't remember if front and rear are correct..you'll when know when you fade)

front right
gray- speaker positive
gray w/blk stripe- speaker negative

front left
white- positive
white w/ blk stripe- negative

rear left
purple- positive
purple w/blk stripe - negative

rear right
green- positive
green w/ blk stripe- negative
Woaaa, that is not GM Factory wiring! That is the standard wiring colours for the aftermarket stuff. Gm radio harnesses don't even have a red coloured wire in the harness.

After about 1980 and probably earlier, this is GM standard:

yellow=12v acc.
orange=12v constant

lt blue=rr spkr -
dk blue=rr spkr +
yellow=lr spkr - (not to be confused with yel 12v acc)
brown=lr spkr + (not to be confused with brown park light wire)
dk green=rf spkr -
lt green=rf spkr +
gray=lf spkr - (not to be confused with with gray dimmer wire)
tan=lf spkr +

gray=dimmer switch
brown=park lights

black/white stripe=ground

Marc

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your assistance. After I went to Salvage Yard and looked thru selection of radios that they had available I bought a new one. But thanks for the quick response....DAVE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts