Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this page on repairing GM marine starters. Although it is a marine application (it has the flame shield, which automotive starters do not), I would think that the overall process of taking apart and rebuilding the marine starter should be similar to the automotive version.

"How To Repair The Marine GM Starter"

·
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!
469 Posts
It is, I've done both applications myself, and as you pointed out the only difference is the extra shielding. I'm surprised they don't go into re-building the solenoid!??

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11echo said:
I'm surprised they don't go into re-building the solenoid!??
I'll see if I can dig up some info on the solenoid and post it. Or you can add some info if you like. :thumbup:

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
that's how i used to rebuild them right down to holding it on the ground with my foot and using the jumper cables to test it :thumbup: the only thing it doesn't talk about is the armature itself. if you do all this and it doesn't work then you probably have a bad winding in the armature when you sand down the collar check for cracks or melted insulators there is a process for ohming it out but i'm not sure on the details any more its been a while since i rebuilt one.

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
helrazr3 said:
that's how i used to rebuild them right down to holding it on the ground with my foot and using the jumper cables to test it :thumbup:
Hardcore! :D :evil: Ahem I mean kids, don't ever do this. :mad: :nono: :spank:

helrazr3 said:
the only thing it doesn't talk about is the armature itself. if you do all this and it doesn't work then you probably have a bad winding in the armature when you sand down the collar check for cracks or melted insulators there is a process for ohming it out but i'm not sure on the details any more its been a while since i rebuilt one.
Glad you brought it up. Hopefully another member can shed light on this. I'll look for info on this as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts