Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this page on repairing GM marine starters. Although it is a marine application (it has the flame shield, which automotive starters do not), I would think that the overall process of taking apart and rebuilding the marine starter should be similar to the automotive version.

"How To Repair The Marine GM Starter"
 

·
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!
Joined
·
469 Posts
It is, I've done both applications myself, and as you pointed out the only difference is the extra shielding. I'm surprised they don't go into re-building the solenoid!??
 

·
"But how do it know?"
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11echo said:
I'm surprised they don't go into re-building the solenoid!??
I'll see if I can dig up some info on the solenoid and post it. Or you can add some info if you like. :thumbup:
 

·
im on a highway to hell
Joined
·
688 Posts
that's how i used to rebuild them right down to holding it on the ground with my foot and using the jumper cables to test it :thumbup: the only thing it doesn't talk about is the armature itself. if you do all this and it doesn't work then you probably have a bad winding in the armature when you sand down the collar check for cracks or melted insulators there is a process for ohming it out but i'm not sure on the details any more its been a while since i rebuilt one.
 

·
"But how do it know?"
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
helrazr3 said:
that's how i used to rebuild them right down to holding it on the ground with my foot and using the jumper cables to test it :thumbup:
Hardcore! :D :evil: Ahem I mean kids, don't ever do this. :mad: :nono: :spank:

helrazr3 said:
the only thing it doesn't talk about is the armature itself. if you do all this and it doesn't work then you probably have a bad winding in the armature when you sand down the collar check for cracks or melted insulators there is a process for ohming it out but i'm not sure on the details any more its been a while since i rebuilt one.
Glad you brought it up. Hopefully another member can shed light on this. I'll look for info on this as well.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top