Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am experiencing high oil consumption issues with a ZZ383, guessing was built back in 2012 (Previous owner purchased). With only 6,000 miles on the engine,I have three cylinders fouling and it is consuming 1 qt per 100 miles. My question: has anyone found a better head, to replace the Fast Burn heads that fail?

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
Hello everyone, I am experiencing the same issues with a ZZ383 that I am guessing was built back in 2012 (Previous owner purchased). I have three cylinders fouling and consuming 1 qt per 100 miles. My question: has anyone found a better head, to replace the Fast Burn heads that fail?
Just get them fixed, rather than replaced with another head. There are only a couple places oil can come from on the head to end up being burned....
#1 - down a loosely worn valve guide which is easily fixed with replacement guides, but requires removal and a trip to the machine shop.
#2 - from bad seals but guides are still good, which is an even easier fix you can do at home.
#3 - down through the threads at the screw-in rocker arms studs, which is another easy home fix, just pull them out and add sealer and reinstall the stud.
#4 - leak at intake port face, also a home fix, just replace the intake gaskets with correct or better versions depending on what is current;y there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just get them fixed, rather than replaced with another head. There are only a couple places oil can come from on the head to end up being burned....
#1 - down a loosely worn valve guide which is easily fixed with replacement guides, but requires removal and a trip to the machine shop.
#2 - from bad seals but guides are still good, which is an even easier fix you can do at home.
#3 - down through the threads at the screw-in rocker arms studs, which is another easy home fix, just pull them out and add sealer and reinstall the stud.
#4 - leak at intake port face, also a home fix, just replace the intake gaskets with correct or better versions depending on what is current;y there.
Thank you for this information.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Before tearing it down complete a leak down test. If the leak down is good, then Eric’s posts last couple of possibilities are almost for sure the issue. If the leak down is bad, then let us know where the leaking is occurring , I.e exhaust, intake or crankcase.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Compression ring seal can be perfect even when the oil control of the rings is not working. Has anyone look at the oil return holes in the Pistons in the groove of the oil ring? Various pistons from various engines have had an issue with having enough oil return flow when the holes or slots were too small. I have heard of many oil consumption issues with this 383.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before tearing it down complete a leak down test. If the leak down is good, then Eric’s posts last couple of possibilities are almost for sure the issue. If the leak down is bad, then let us know where the leaking is occurring , I.e exhaust, intake or crankcase.
Will do. I was planning on doing compression and leak-down tomorrow sometime.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Compression ring seal can be perfect even when the oil control of the rings is not working. Has anyone look at the oil return holes in the Pistons in the groove of the oil ring? Various pistons from various engines have had an issue with having enough oil return flow when the holes or slots were too small. I have heard of many oil consumption issues with this 383.
I would guess that MOST of those problems are caused by defective parts/ machining and/ or poor assembly !. There's nothing inherently wrong with the 383 architecture..

·
Registered
219 Posts
leak at intake port face? I had that same problem with vortec heads on a brand new 383. Went thru about a quart a day. Changed to a different style intake gasket fixed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.