Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High everyone I have a 1965 rambler 440 with the egine a 6 cylinder 196c.i.,125 hp and 180 ft. Lbs. of torque and I'm wondering is there anything I can buy to make it go faster because I go 30 mph up a will maximum if you could help I would really appreciate it thanks.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
High everyone I have a 1965 rambler 440 with the egine a 6 cylinder 196c.i.,125 hp and 180 ft. Lbs. of torque and I'm wondering is there anything I can buy to make it go faster because I go 30 mph up a will maximum if you could help I would really appreciate it thanks.
That model of Kelvinator is a good-looking car, but I'm unsure if it's worth spending any money on. As a hot rodder, I would suggest an engine swap to a AMC 401 coupled to a 4-speed. Might be a project that you would never get your money out of though, these cars aren't very popular in the first place. You might just want to sell the car and buy another car that will get you up the hill faster.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,753 Posts
Look, the reality is that these cars ran acceptably when new, so the first question is, what's wrong with yours? If the engine is down on power because it needs a rebuild, that's one thing. If it just needs a good tuneup and carb rebuild, that's much easier. These were daily drivers when new and could go up hills with traffic.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Hotrodder in me says paint it red white and blue with blue steelies and a snorkel hoodscoop
Google: Hurst SC/Rambler. Dump a 401 Jeep engine in there and drive that circus wagon like its stolen. Note: there were some mods done to reinforce the floorpan and suspension. If you go V8, please do those.
3rd gen Ramblers will accommodate a V8 relatively easy.
Rambler American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really prefer the 'B' paint scheme; but there are few things cooler than a 390 and 4spd in a rambler thats painted up like a circus wagon. This was a seriously fast car.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Hotrodder in me says paint it red white and blue with blue steelies and a snorkel hoodscoop
Google: Hurst SC/Rambler. Dump a 401 Jeep engine in there and drive that circus wagon like its stolen. Note: there were some mods done to reinforce the floorpan and suspension. If you go V8, please do those.
3rd gen Ramblers will accommodate a V8 relatively easy.
Rambler American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really prefer the 'B' paint scheme; but there are few things cooler than a 390 and 4spd in a rambler thats painted up like a circus wagon. This was a seriously fast car.
I like the way you think.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I love AMCs but in the North East; they're unobtanium
I had a chance to buy a gremlin and Im still kicking myself, but it was pretty sad looking. I also looked at a 67 Rambler with no motor, but it was rotted around both the windshield and back window.

To the OP: A performance axle is probably your best bang for the buck, but it'll wear out that little motor in a hurry. Save your pennies, hone your skills and clone a SC/Rambler

1 - 16 of 16 Posts