Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder @ Maintenr
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm trying to restore an older car, my prior attempts on the hood (I know it's not the easiest) part have failed the lighting test (you can see bondo edges, while I could not feel them to touch).

What I did before is sand it to metal with edges, bondo followed by sanding + and high grit until I could not feel the difference with fingers.

I think and correct me if I'm wrong, the issue was that after sanding the bondo I did not spray 2K high build primer on top of it and blend it again, that what makes it perfectly smooth even to the 'light' test.

Is this correct theory? I'm using a vinyl wrap on top of it until I can find somebody with a gun and booth for cheap.

Advise and suggestions are welcome.

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
You should always spray a couple coats of a good 2K primer over filler (at the very least 2K, an epoxy would be even better) to fill any scratches left from sanding, as well as give something to feather and blend into the surrounding repair area.

Kelly

·
Founder @ Maintenr
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should always spray a couple coats of a good 2K primer over filler (at the very least 2K, an epoxy would be even better) to fill any scratches left from sanding, as well as give something to feather and blend into the surrounding repair area.

Kelly
What grit do you recommend as a final blend to original paint?

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
If you are using a 2K urethane primer over the filler, I usually finish filler to 320 grit, then apply the primer. If you are using a "high build" primer you can finish the filler in 180-220 grit and should not have any trouble with scratches showing through. Once you get the primer on and it has dried, block it with 320-400 and then go to 600 as a final grit prior to paint. If you sand through the primer, you need to reapply over any sand through areas.

Kelly

·
Founder @ Maintenr
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are using a 2K urethane primer over the filler, I usually finish filler to 320 grit, then apply the primer. If you are using a "high build" primer you can finish the filler in 180-220 grit and should not have any trouble with scratches showing through. Once you get the primer on and it has dried, block it with 320-400 and then go to 600 as a final grit prior to paint. If you sand through the primer, you need to reapply over any sand through areas.

Kelly
Thanks bud! Excited to give it another whirl.

·
point on positive
1,680 Posts
Feel with your whole hand not just your fingers... your palm will actually tell your fortune ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts