Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas,
Looking to buy a new set without breaking the bank. Ive researched some and had decided on a gearwrench set. So I bought it and hated the ratchet and some of the stamping was messed up. So back it went.
I like the stamping of the Icon. I also heard good things about tekton and of course old Craftsman USA.

Anyone have any experience with Icon tools?

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,155 Posts
Crapsman Tools suck now days. It is all Chinese crap with no decent warranty. Remember the No hassle break it and return it for a free replacement? Well that is changed significantly. If you break a tool you go through a lot of hoops to claim a warrantee. If you break a ratchet for example you take it back and if the store has a used replacement you get it they say no new tool just a rebuilt tool for a warrantee. I had a nice looking almost brand new 1/2 inch ratchet that broke internally and they "Exchanged it with a beat up scratched ratchet" I complained and was shown there tool warrantee policy and it clearly states in the fine print they will repair the tool or exchange the tool to the nearest model of your tool which includes replacing the tool for a Remanufactured or repaired tool.

I have tons a Crapsman tools and now when I have a problem with one it gets replaced with a trusted manufacture tool like snap on etc..

This is just my 2 cents worth, your mileage may differ and your experience may be totally different just saying how I feel on that!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Your no better off with snap-ons warranty , used , beat up , stamped " re-con" replacement tools , argueing about how it failed. AND prices in the stratosphere. At my age. if it lasts for 10 years , I don't care ! Best tools , both in quality & price , are old tools , garage sales , auctions , moving sales , 10 cents on the dollar & better quality than anything new !
PLUS , when my son in law borrows them & forgets where they came from , I DONT CARE LOL!!

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,541 Posts
Depends on what your looking for.
There isn't one brand I like that has everything I want.
Icon is good for sockets, ratchets, wrenches. screw drivers,
Prybars, hammers, dead blows, etc.....Name doesn't mean a damn thing.
I lke my gear wrench stuff. Thicker and stiffer and longer. (there a joke in there) machine well.
I've also seen some Gear Wrench stuff thats thinner, flimsy, and not fully machined.

·
Registered
562 Posts
At swap meets like Carlisle you can find vendors that sell NOS tool that are new but decades old.
I find made in USA craftsman tools but you might need to sort thru the piles. Prices are way cheaper than retail. Loose pieces rather than sets, but put together what you want. Keep in mind most of the stuff is not domestic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Crapsman Tools suck now days. It is all Chinese crap with no decent warranty. Remember the No hassle break it and return it for a free replacement? Well that is changed significantly. If you break a tool you go through a lot of hoops to claim a warrantee. If you break a ratchet for example you take it back and if the store has a used replacement you get it they say no new tool just a rebuilt tool for a warrantee. I had a nice looking almost brand new 1/2 inch ratchet that broke internally and they "Exchanged it with a beat up scratched ratchet" I complained and was shown there tool warrantee policy and it clearly states in the fine print they will repair the tool or exchange the tool to the nearest model of your tool which includes replacing the tool for a Remanufactured or repaired tool.

I have tons a Crapsman tools and now when I have a problem with one it gets replaced with a trusted manufacture tool like snap on etc..

This is just my 2 cents worth, your mileage may differ and your experience may be different just saying how I feel on that!! :cool:
The old craftsmen's worked great, got some new ones and they sucked.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I can usually find good deals on NOS S-K hand tools when I need to; sometimes even "Good-Used" are pretty clean

·
Registered
333 Posts
My Snap-on guy is great, has never said no, I'm not gonna repair/replace that tool, and I don't have a Snap-on guy that comes to my job either. I have a guy I tracked down in my town where I live that is my dealer now. Ratchets, they don't replace them they just get rebuilt, same for screw drivers, that's fine with me, as that's the wear part anyways. For my job I use Snap-on exclusively, for home use, I have old (vintage) Craftsman tools (25+ yrs old) with a mix of Snap-on, probably 50/50 mix. You can buy Craftsman at Lowes and they replace them if they have the same item is stock, as I've done that already. You can also call Craftsman on the phone and do a warranty that way too, I have also gone this route. If I were buying new tools today, I would go with Craftsman from Lowes, Husky from Home Depot both have lifetime warranty, any Snap-on, Mac, Cornwell, Matco, or S&K, in no particular order. I've heard good things about Tekton on Amazon from the YouTube guys but never bought any. It really is crappy that everything is pretty much made in China these days and the pro truck stuff is super expensive. Now this is just my opinion but, you get what you pay for in pro truck tools, quality and there is a difference, and support. You will never kick yourself in the rear for buying the best. Pay the extra money and buy Snap-on or Mac type quality ratchets new or used (I just bought a used Snap-on 1/4 drive 72 tooth ratchet off eBay), and get big box store wrenches and sockets, you won't be sorry. I have no experience with Icon tools, but their tool boxes sure seem pretty nice, Harbor Freight seems to be trying to sell some better tools, but they do sell a lot of crap. I do have some crap, but very limited and I know what and why I purchased them for, usually one time use. I do have some Gearwrench racheting wrenches and the quality seems pretty good.

Keith

·
Registered
265 Posts
Go to www.garagejournal.com and search Icon tools. Reviews are fairly good. Warranty replacement is pretty straightforward. They'll work. As others have said, check swap meets, CL, FB marketplace for older tools. I have tons of Craftsman but most of mine were acquired in the '60s and '70s........good stuff!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Recently I had a need for a set of Crowsfoot wrenches, and bought a set of Icons-thry seem really well made, smooth, snapped onto the ratchet well, fit the bolts/nuts correctly and didn't flex or break-I was kind of impressed-

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Harbor Frieght tool cart. It's pretty sweet. This is after I sold a different Harbor Freight tool box. I'm gonna pick up a set of shorts. I'll let yall know how they come out.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
As of July 2021 ,nothing had been produced at the plant ?
I can't find anything definitive. I just now posted a question on their FB page asking if the plant is up and running, and I'll drive over that way this week. I did drive by the building several months ago and there were lots of cars parked in front, but that doesn't mean any manufacturing has started yet.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Well, looks like Craftsman deleted my question on their FB page. And I wasn't even nasty, just a simple question. There are other questions about the plant, but with no answers at all, like they are afraid to tell us what's going on.

Obviously something happened. Hopefully it's just Covid-related issues.

Glad I already have at least 95% of the hand tools I'll ever need, many of them dating back to the 60s and 70s.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked up like $500 worth of Icon tools. Probably will re write a new post, but they def have a feel of higher end stuff. Maybe it's the Snap On copy. I'm actually a little regretful since what was purchased could be had from Tekton for 225 or so. I just hate the stamping on Tekton. They just look so generic.
I colored the numbers to see if I like them enough to keep them. If not, ill get some acetone and pack em back up.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts