Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Have been researching this also. You can't get an American made with out breaking the bank. Even the good japanese ones are pricey.The only affordable ones for the homebuilder are chinese. Look for the ones that use Jap seals. Whatever u get will leak. I got one from Lowes and leaked after a few uses , so I took it back.
I'm trying to find a used American made.
Google floor jacks and you can read all about it. :welcome:

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
I have a craftsman had it for years , Just bought one for my son not to long ago. Just be sure to get one with the big pad on it well i like it better anyway i have both. You can most of the time when you buy the jack you will get set of jack stands or a creeper even both from craftsman. For around $100 maybe alittle more. Cole

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I got a 3 ton at wal mart for under 100 bucks. Works pretty good. Keep it out of the rain, it will rust. Might want to take a buddy with you to help you pick it up. It feels like 3 ton itself in the box. I'm 6'4" 230lbs and it was all I could do to get it off the cart and into the trunk!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
eloc431962 said:
I have a craftsman had it for years , Just bought one for my son not to long ago. Just be sure to get one with the big pad on it well i like it better anyway i have both. You can most of the time when you buy the jack you will get set of jack stands or a creeper even both from craftsman. For around $100 maybe alittle more. Cole

Ya, I had a craftsman for years to. Eventually the piston plunger failed and can't get a replacement. I junked it.
I will try a new craftsman but the one they have won't go low enough for me.
Home Depot has one that starts at 3", and is $190. I may as well go American made for $250.
:welcome:

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
Cape Cod Bob said:
Ya, I had a craftsman for years to. Eventually the piston plunger failed and can't get a replacement. I junked it.
I will try a new craftsman but the one they have won't go low enough for me.
Home Depot has one that starts at 3", and is $190. I may as well go American made for $250.
:welcome:
I understand and agree :welcome: ....Cole

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buy where? & air comp. info

where did you get the powertrain, also anybody have a campbell hausfeld 60gallon air comp. and if you do how is it or should i go the extra 200 and get the IR

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Walker jacks are very good ones as well as Blackhawk. NAPA auto part stores used to carry them...I don't know whether they still do or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anybody know about Hein-Warner jacks, they seem to be good quality, and are made in America. The 2 ton has a hefty price tag of about $350 from sears. I was going to buy a craftsman jack, but the reviews on their website are very discouraging.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
My 40-year-old Sears (Walker) 1.5T jack suffered hydraulic failure again, so I asked the owner of one of the last real service stations in town about who could rebuild it decently, and he pointed out his collection of yellow & black 3T Harbor Freight units. He said it's cheaper to use them and just replace a dead one with one of the spares that he keeps in the back, bought whenever they're on sale. I now have two.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Air Hydraulic Bottle Jack

I have a Northern Tool Air Hydraulic jack which cost about $80 and it is a dream come true. Only disadvantage is it's starting height is 10" so you will probably need a low profile jack as well. Advantage is it is painless to jack many cars and trucks. I also like the fact that I can work my car up to the ceiling if I want to; safety first, don't try this at home.

·
rodin better than $** any day
32 Posts
don't buy the jacks from wal-mart though i was getting a good deal for myself and the local fire depertment that i am a voulenteer for trying to save them money and they both have the same problem, no weight they go up great put under load won't go up, we ended up buying a crafstman,

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
What are you trying to lift, a fire truck? The wal mart jack I bought (3 ton) will lift the whole front end of my 4x4 chevy as high as the jack will go.
I've had it 2 yrs so far and no problems. Starting height of 5 in. is pretty good but it's heavy as hell. It sit's in my garage and has survived temp ranges from 0* to 100*. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.