Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crate 350 that runs good. I am also getting an earlier 350 with a Turbo 350 attached (primarily for the tranny). This 350 is supposed to have a knock. I need to check it out. The crate engine has the centerbolt valve covers and the newer style intake manifold. The other one has the old style covers and manifold. I am going to have to decide which way to go before I start buying valve covers and intake. I am leaning toward the crate engine with and Edelbrock Performer, the HEI out of the earlier engine, and a Quadrajet or AFB (I have one of each on hand, probably go with a Holley or Edelbrock later). Other than the parts are more expensive for the later engines, are there any real cons to using the later crate engine? LMK your experiences.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Which late model crate motor do you have? It should have either the Vortec heads or the swirl port heads. Personally I would want the late model for the centerbolt covers and one piece rear main oil seal. If it has the Vortec heads, its a no brainer.

I think you are on the right track

·
Registered
198 Posts
If they have the Vortec heads... Like the wise man above me said, no brainer...

Vortec owns all.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
eh, I don't know about all that with the vortec heads. They're a good mid-range head, but they're costly to upgrade and require a bit of machining. Warranty is great to have, however.

K

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GMC boogie said:
Which late model crate motor do you have?
I'm not sure. I bought the company truck for a ridiculously low price. They had replaced the engine one or two years ago. The tranny went and they decided not to mess with it. The tag says Goodwrench 350 New. I am assuming it is a 1988 - 1998 1/2, 3/4 Ton Trucks 350 (L05) New Goodwrench Engine # 12568758. How can I tell for sure? My guess is this is not a Vortec headed engine.

BTW, I traded the cab and front sheetmetal for the 350/350 combo. Going to turn what is left into one of those cheesy pickup bed trailers. If I told you how much I have in the trailer, two engines, one good tranny and one core, you would be in my driveway with torches and pitchforks. Anyone need a 35 (?) gal. gas tank?

·
Registered
146 Posts
eh, well i would have to disagree with you killerformula, vortecs are not good heads, they are great heads, in fact the best designed head that chevrolet has produced yet, production wise. And for the average joe who doesnt have $1300 to drop on a new set of AFR's, they are excellent heads. As for machining costs, I got a complete 97 Vortec motor from intake to oil pan for $200. Took the heads to the machine shop and they did a valve job, cut down the valve guide bosses, put on new Z/28 springs, and retainers and seals for about $200. Do they own all? No. But you gotta admit, they are a pretty hot ticket on a brown bag budget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts