Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy gave me a 700r4 for helping him move, all i know is that it has a corvette servo in it and is in good shape, ihave 2 turbo 350s " 1 long shaft 1 short. would the 700r4 be a better choice for my 383 with xe274 cam? and 373 gears?

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Depends on what you want to do?
(I think)You would have to move the crossmember and shorten the shaft. But you will save money on gas with that OD. The turbo 350s will be stronger and cheaper to rebuild if need be.
A few people on this site are Nova fans so Im sure they could give you better advice than I.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
I'd go for the OD as it makes a better overall street machine, since your effective rear gear will be about 2.60 in OD. You could even add more rear gear, 4.11 would get you about 2.88 in OD, see the possibilities?

Finding a buddy to check out the R4 and beefing it a little is a very good idea with a 383. Selling a 350 could help offset the expense.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

what about a 327 with 373 gears, i found alot of these and am thinking aout trading in the 383 for a small journal 327.what about the 4 hole hook up in yhe side, what is it for, what does it do, can i hook it up in my car?

·
Registered
111 Posts
backyard71nova said:
what about a 327 with 373 gears, i found alot of these and am thinking aout trading in the 383 for a small journal 327.what about the 4 hole hook up in yhe side, what is it for, what does it do, can i hook it up in my car?
Sure you can hook it up. 383 and the 327 are the same externally. But why would you want to go from a 383 to a 327?
Or did you mean 283?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i found a small journal 327 for 200 bucks and think it would add to the value of my nova, plus i'm afraid i won't be able to drive my car without filling up every 10 min.

·
Smile if you know Jesus
515 Posts
You are probably talking about the 4 wire hook up in the trans. It is what controlls the lockup converter. There are a couple different ways to wire it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
"i found a small journal 327 for 200 bucks and think it would add to the value of my nova"
Can we assume you're talking about a '71 Nova? (from your username)
If so, why do you think a 327 would increase the value...There were NO 327's in '70's cars.
JA

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
xntrik said:
I'd go for the OD as it makes a better overall street machine, since your effective rear gear will be about 2.60 in OD. You could even add more rear gear, 4.11 would get you about 2.88 in OD, see the possibilities?

Finding a buddy to check out the R4 and beefing it a little is a very good idea with a 383. Selling a 350 could help offset the expense.
Agreed. I have a 388 and TH350/3.73's and its awful on the highway. Get passed left and right taching 3000+ RPM. IMO upwards of a 3.23 gear and you need some overdrive to make the car worth driving for more than a few miles at a time.

K

·
likes chevy trucks & boobies
1,971 Posts
what trans is in the car right now ?

if its a 4 speed or th350 then you will have to vut the driveshaft down 3" to make the 700r4 work

which tranny to use depends on how much $ you have and what RPM range you want ot be in on the highway and if you think its worth having the extra low first gear of 3.06 that is in the 700r4

you have some decisions to make, many of them

plus you will have to get an aftermarket wiring kit for the lockup feature inside the 700r4, i dont know what those cost nowadays
could probably get an ebay one for a good deal

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts