Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. I got home this afternoon and there is the township officer setting in my driveway. I had talked to him every month since May. As my neighbor is always complaining about the number of cars in my drive (and I live out in the country).

This time its a new game. It has always been tickets for junk cars or no plate. So far the judge has thrown them out, as I have historic plates on the older cars and I buy 8-12 plates per year for the various drivers and work trucks.

Now it is for Unoperable vehicle... They have been watching this Ford pickup I bought last spring. Body is toast but it has a brand new crate 302 with a comp cam, Edelbrock intake and a 600 Holley. Rebuilt C-6. This thing has 500 miles on the swap and the guy gets busted DUI. I bought the truck. Drove it home and plated it... So it has set in the same place, less moving it to mow etc.

August 19, I buy a NICE Black 86 Ford Shortbed stepside, Some kid had started an engine swap and couldn't finish it. Sooo, I drag it home and put it in the Barn.

Aug 20, I drive the old engine donor up beside my house. The garage has a Blazer in it that isn't finished yet. So I then procede to get the engine loose. Ready to pull on the 21 st. Family stuff (daughter going back to college, etc) delays the pull. Meanwhile on the 30 th I pull the 86 out of the barn to do the swap.

BUSTED, two unoperable vehicles. and a backhoe tractor setting next to the house. Remember this is out in the country. Also I had some lumber delivered for a shed about mid August and had not gotten to it yet. So now it's called debris by the township ($600.00 debris?). Can't keep it out back because the neighbor kids have sticky fingers..

So here I am, accused criminal.. Unoperable vehicles 2-counts and debris in the side yard. $75.00 per count. Ticket says plead guilty.. RIGHT! we will see what kind of Kangeroo court I get in a couple of weeks. Had to Vent BOB

·
Registered
806 Posts
Why do neighbors have to start stuff? I could see if you were putting inoperative vehicles on HIS property but, it's your own property and you should be able to do what you want. I say fight em!

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Having a tarp covering the offending item seems to solve all issues with the authorities here, I think this loophole was originally designed to give construction sites a break from nuisance complaints from people with nothing better to do than idly pass judgement on the condition of your property. I think the "danger to pedestrians"part of the ammendment requires fencing if the materials are of a hazardous nature.

Might be worth looking into, it explains why people with fences surrounding their property can operate junkyards in the middle of the city.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Dang, I'm glad they don't do that down here. I'm already poor. They'd have to send me to prison for what I'd owe in fines.

Larry

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
They tried to harass me a few years back because my car was parked in the same spot on the street for more than 24 hours. I went to the PD and read the ordnance they cited and told them it was unenforceable. They agreed.

I've been waiting for a complaint because of the car parts, cherry picker, etc behind my garage...all under tarps. My comeback will be to report the city manager for using his city-provided car for personal use.

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
i'm dealing with the same type of crap around here, police giving tickets, vindictive neighbors getting the last laugh, its un american and im sick of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
Thats crazy! I know people down here in the city with more cars "scattered" in their yards and nobody says anything? So, why are the neighbors pissed at ya?:boxing:

C

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Bob,
Time to get a lawyer. Sue the town for Obstruction to Pursuit of Happiness. This is your therapeudic outlet. Tell them you work for the post office, and this eliviates your fustrations in a LEGAL way.
Then tell the JOP that if you were'nt playing with these tickets, you could finish these projects. And your doing your part by recycling otherwise junk. And waiting for the lumber to "season". I feel for ya. I think I would start SERIOUSLY screwing with the offending neighbor. A little fertilizer to help his lawn grow greener would be nice. Just in the pattern of

IMADORK

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Bob, must be some of your neighbors retiring and moving South and start pitching a fit over our Hillbilly eyesore cars/trucks. In many cases they are our everyday drivers or the farm truck that is used just for farming, thus has periods of sitting around. They try to get count ordinances passed to ban old cars and trucks, but so far have not been unsuccessful. In our, the shop is 3/4 miles up a private lane and out of sight and hearing of anyone. We tend to have our favorite salvage yard guy bring in the whole vehicle and we remove what we want and he returns for the remains to go to the crusher. Keeps the feds out of his hair and they know they have to come with the Sheriff and a warrant to keep from being charged with trespassing. You could probably inform the policeman that he was trespassing if he was on your property when you arrived.(I always liked to throw rocks at a hornets's nest). This is a personal property Right covered in the constitution. Many small town, big city and county Ordinances are in violation of the Constitution and seldom get challenged. If enough people in your area raise enough sand, you can get these type Ordinances removed. Sounds like you have enough evidence of harassment by the local police to make a good case.

Trees

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bob- sorry to hear you have to live by idiots... some people can't see beyond their noses or their jealosy works their panties into a bunch and they just have to create problems. I just bought a '39 Plymouth truck that has no front suspension and have it parked by the shop. I worried what 'Johnny Law' would think and asked neighbors- they said- "It looks cool!" and "We know how it will turn out if you have it." No problems yet! Some have said if I get too much stuff out back I may have to build a wood fence- if they can't see it they can't complain. I know in the country that would be too much work and too much money... at any rate- I feel for you and wish you well- just another case of people wanting to take away another man's freedom...Good luck and hang in there....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Got another one for you. I own 200 acres waaay up north in Wisconsin for hunting. One neighbor has another 500 and another neighbor has about 100 and.... well you get the idea, lots of land, no houses or cabins it's really wilderness. My sons and I tent camp during hunting season using large military surplus tents (GP-Mediums).

Come to find out the county up there has an ordinance about NO camping except in a designated camp ground. According to this I'm not allowed to camp on my own land. This even includes not parking a camper trailor next to your house because someone might sleep in it. This ordinance was passed years ago when all the resort and motel owners ran things and they wanted to ensure that everybody had to stay at their places...

Needless to say, WE CAMP ALL WE WANT... and I would fight this one all the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Find out who it is and burn their house down....eer....have a talk with them.

Seriously though, an understanding judge should throw them out...there was intention of getting the vehicles moved and it is not like they were sitting there for a few years. Some people need to learn to mind their own business, especially out in the country.....that is one of the reasons people move out there is to be able to do what they want and not get harrassed by vindictive neighbors. Rah! People suck sometimes!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Pay the fine, and post a sign out in your yard and let your neighbor know that you can afford it, and he can't. The next thing you know, he will have his own junk sitting around just from the peer pressure.

I would then get all of the junk running, and make sure you saw the exhaust off of everything, and I would move them around at a very inconvenient time for your neighbor, then just let him know that you are PROVING to him that they are fully functional. I would probably even add a little oil down some of the carburetors to add a smoke effect for them. If that doesn't work, call me Bob, and I'll bring my ARVEE over and empty the crapper out by their house and announce my semi-permanent visit to your neighbors ala
Christmas Vacation.

If that doesn't do it, build some obscure little fences around each car, with some of your wise thoughts painted on them and then use your freedom of speech protections.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will not pay a fine! If I admit to guilt the first time it gives them an open door to repeat offender etc. I drove one of the vehicles for a test run this morning. Transfer plates tomorrow. Old body goes Saturday. All other vehicles are licenced and drivable.

A little background on the neighbor-- Moved from Bloomfield Hills, Highest per capita income and housing in Michigan. Her husband is a great guy. She is the complete opposit. Hates living in the country, hates dirt road, hates animals, will say one thing and do the exact opposite.

It was OK to have old cars in her yard! Oh that one belongs to mother! Thats Joey's project car or Thats just a plow truck. All the time her kids were growing up. Oh I can't believe my kids would do that! Or Joey is so creative that he just takes things and forgets to ask!!!!

Now the kids are gone and she and another neighbor about 1/4 mile away are out to save the trees, whales, and countryside.

GET THIS She told the authorities all my old cars were dripping oil into the ground and fouling her drinking water!!! But her kids running 3-5 dirt bikes all over the place including my property is OK. "Well they are just kids afterall"

I think when all this is over I will park all seventeen licenced vehicles plus two tractors a forklift and the backhoe on the line fence next to her house. Better not,, I've had enuff glass breakage from her Angels!!!

3,214 Posts
Here we have a code against "inoperative vehicles". As long as they run and move under their own power, it don't matter what they look like. It also don't matter what they look like, they have to run and move under their own power.

Years ago, I had a 54 Chevy pu that I traded for. The fenders and grille were off of it, and the engine was apart. I didn't have a garage, so I had it parked beside my house. The Codes inspector showed up before I could need to move it to cut the grass. He told me that they had a complaint about it. I told him that I would re-assemble the body so it looked better. He told me that it had to run and move. I then bought another motor and got it running within the 2 weeks that he had given me. He didn't show up to check on it for several months. During that time, I needed to borrow some parts off of it for my daily driver. Then he showed up again, unexpected. After several of these cycles, I got tired of the hassle and got rid of it. Here they don't do anything unless they get a complaint. They drive past cars sitting up on blocks in front yards to get to the house they have the complaint about.

Those days I didn't have the money to pay fines or deal with the court system. Now I do what I want and dare them to mess with me. I have talked to most of my neighbors and they know me well. I have made it well known, that if they have a problem with me they should let me know, then all they have to do is put their house up for sale.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
adtkart said:
Here we have a code against "inoperative vehicles". As long as they run and move under their own power, it don't matter what they look like. It also don't matter what they look like, they have to run and move under their own power.
Yea but what if they run under their own power, then does it matter what they look like?

Mike:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts