Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an extra GM starter solenoid laying around. Can I use this as a kill switch for my electrical system?

My thought process is run a 14 ga 12v line to a single pole switch near the dash area. Run the line back to the small lug on the solenoid and then connect the selenoid big lugs in line with the positive side of the battery. When I flick the single pole switch it will give the system juice. When it is off it kills all battery power.

I guess my question is could the solenoid handle the constant volume of juice to and from the battery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Constant Duty vs. Intermittent Duty

Your idea is good, but the starter solenoid isn't rated at constant duty - which means, at some point it will give up and/or melt down.

You can purchase a constant duty solenoid just for this purpose - there are several places that have them - I know painless has one and you can probably find them at jegs or other places that deal with street/strip products.

Running an intermittent solenoid as constant duty gets interesting. I wouldn't want to be driving when it decided to go...Besides stopping, you might start a fire.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It might not make the first mile before it fried or it might make a couple of weeks like my friend who did it with a Ford unit. You want a continuous duty solonoid. They are also known as battery parallel relays for campers and motor homes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts