Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okey Im not sure if im allowed to say this but FYI Sears online has the Hobart 140 Mig with the accessories for $407 (maybe just for today. i dunno). I got a great deal.

I chose this welder because I needed to do two things. Weld a floor pan and modify my motor mounts which are 1/4 thick. According to the specs, this machine can handle that.

Any experiences with these 115V machines? Any suggestions on Gas mix or wire name brands?

·
Stroked Z28
230 Posts
I would suggest C25 gas (25% CO2, 75% AR) and 0.024" solid wire for the floor boards.

For the thicker stuff, you are supposed to run .035" flux core. You need as much heat as possible to get good penetration on the 1/4" welds... I've done it before, but I always made darn sure that I got good penetration... It will make a mess (splatter from the flux core).

Follow this link & select the "weld setup..." link. It will tell you what you need to know.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler140.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
mig welder

Yeah for sheetmetal up to 20 gauge use the .023-.025 wire. For up to 3/16" steel use the .035 wire. I would recommend going gas and just ask for C20 or C25. Flux is ok for body panels as you can work it better than the MIG. MIG doesn't dolly and hammer as well as flux does. Just remember that there is a polarity change when going from gas to flux so be sure to swap the wire inside. Oh...and if you're going more than 3/16" with gas it'll penetrate only with single pass on both sides. I don't know what you're setting are but my Lincoln works well with 1/8" or thicker on D5 setting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Its all German to me now but Im a "learn as you go" ginda guy. There are a bunch of welding supply stores around. I hope I dont get jipped on the tank purchase. What size would you recommend as far as the tank is conscerned. Im just welding about 2 square foot floor board and like 12" of bead on the 1/4 steel. Im using the welder for small project like that from then on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mig welder

If you don't want to blow a bunch of money on a tank right off the bat, call a few welding supply places, some will actually rent to you a tank on a month to month basis. I lucked up and found one out here in North Georgia that was very very reasonable on rental (less than $10 a month) and after you use that tank you can decide how much you actually use it to warrant buying your own tank. As for tips and all I'm a self taught welder as well but I couldn't have done it without a lil help from some friends of mine that are commercial union welders and abit of practice. My best advice is to go to Miller's website and go to the tips and hints section. They even have a welding resource library on that site too. I've found it to be helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.