Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .30 over 400 2 bolt main block that has the machine work done it has dished pistons stock rods,crank i have a solid roller cam and lifters that i would like to use i have had numerous people try to decipher the numbers stamped on it with no luck.the only thing they do is mike it and say it has a 600 lift i know it is too much but i would really like to use it.Now for the main question what type of alum. heads do you reccomend with this combination?I want it to run on pump gas.It is going in a 68 Camaro with a 373 rear gear and TH350 trans.I like the sound of the AFR heads.What size do you reccomend?Please Help!!

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Build that sbc400!!!

SBC 400 motors need 400 heads and be sure they have the stream holes in them before you mount them to the block or it will overheat BIG TIME! Cams arn't that expensive so buy a street cam and new lifters. To run that cam I believe you will need to run a higher than stock stall converter...at least a 2000stall or slightly better.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
55 Posts
what heads have the stream holes in them? I was lookign at a set of edelbrock E-TEC 200s for my 400 but ive never heard of these holes. If heads didnt have them can they be machined in?

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
You can take them to a machine shop and have it done, or do it yourself if you have the tools and comfort. I have read some good reviews about the E-tec heads however you'll have to run a Vortec style manifold with them. You'll have to check and see if those heads will accept that much lift. I think you'll have a hard time finding heads with that cam. You'll certainly be paying more.

AFR heads are good however there are a number of heads that can be better given a good port job. AFR's come ported hence their good out of the box reputation. It also takes quite awhile (like 5-7 weeks if not more) to get your hands on a set so it will depend on your time frame.

Heads with a 185-200 intake runner and 70-80 exhaust runner is where I'd be looking at. With your 400 cubes it should give you a nice balance of top and bottom without sacrificing either too much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
do you think the E-TEC's 64cc combustion chambers would be too much for pump gas on a 400? they say it makes a 10.3:1 with a flat top piston and a 350 so im wondering if the 400 will have a much higher compression ratio? if they do what would create a 10:1 or lower compression ratio 74-76cc?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
A .600" lift solid roller cam is most likely going to have a 250-260o duration @ .050". That will put your powerband in the 4,500+ range. It will suck to drive on the street.

Go on Ebay and do a search for "Chevy" and "roller cam". You will see a ton of solid roller cams like yours. They usually say the cams have very low miles on them. They are all people that found out the hard way that their cams don't work well for their applications. You would need a 4,500 stall converter for those cams to work properly.

You need to calculate your compression ratio. You can't go by what the head manufacturers say etc. With aluminum heads, you should easily be able to run 10.5:1 compression.

I checked out the E-techs. They are good if you already have a Vortec style intake. If you have an old style intake, go with the Performers, or the RPMs. If you are talking about aftermarket heads, there is no performance improvement from changing from the old style to Vortec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts