Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the rear roll pan I needed for my '46 Chevy Panel truck made. It's not mounted yet but it is made anyway. I posted pics in my album so everyone can see how I made it. It was easier than I thought it would be.
I used 20 ga. paint ready sheet metal, the price was right(free!!). To make the first bend I used a 3/4" piece of pipe longer than the pan, clamped it all in place and bent it over with ball pean hammer. Then I spaced out two boards about 3" apart clamped it in place and used a hard rubber mallet to form the bigger curve moving it as I went along to make the whole curve. For the Lic. plate bucket I made the mesurements and cut it with my bandsaw. I only made the top bend in it for now, when I mount the pan I will get the exact curve and cut it out then and bend it. A little fine tuning with a hammer and dollies and a little filler and it should look great.
You guys said I could do it and you were right, like I said it was easier than I thought it would be so Thank you very much for your encourageemnt. ;)

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Bluepen ]</p>

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The beauty of the Hotrodder.com Forum is that all are enthusiastic, ready to share knowledge and often wisdom, and always always rooting fotr the guy who wants to DO IT HIMSELF!
Congratulations, think what new adventures await you!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Looks good! It is amazing what a little creativity will yield.

I would offer a little advise for future metal pounding. A wide head body hammer will give you a smoother surface. Just a thought.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts