Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are definitely some low points, when it seems like it is taking so long to redo the bodywork, that was messed up by the welder I hired. (I won't call him a body man, because his work is not to a standard I'd call body work) I paid a lot of money for work, in hindsight, I wish I had done myself.

Anyway the email;

"Hi there. I was the person who sold you the ******
tail lights and told you about **** ****** *******. I apologize as I didn't know about his work untill recently I uncovered my car and found little bubbles everywhere. It has never been driven yet or in the rain!! The paint is ruined! I have also found alot of other areas of concern too. Give me a call as I'd love to see your car now and see if you know of who can repair my damage.

Thanks,
****"

So, I guess, my car could be also the one with bubbles everywhere, if by chance I had not taken the time to pound on the quarter panels, and find that 3/4" chunk of bondo falling off.

I hate to tell him, HOW I think that he needs to fix it

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Just shows there are hacks which I am sure everyone knows you can have in any profession. I have no idea what you paid or the agreement between you and the welder was, but too many people shop by price alone. You may be getting a good deal, you may be getting hack work no matter what price range. You sound like you took a right step and asked for a reference, unfortunately it was a bad one.
I only do a very little side work once in a while, but it makes me feel good of the few cars I've done for people, I've already did a second one for one guy, and just got another one today from another guy asking if I would want to paint another one of his cars. I would rather do the best I can and sleep then try to totally hack something and take the money and hope I never run into the person again. Many people do operate that way though. But I don't have overhead like shops do, and don't need that income to pay bills, the day job does that. I think someone that is mechanically inclined may be better off doing the work themselves, unless they really have no place. equiptment or skill to do the work and can pay someone well to do the work, Its your car, and your likely to be able to spend more time on it then most businesses would. Spend some time talking to bodyman, mechanic, welder, whatever it may be and listening to what they say, and how comfortable it makes you feel, and spent their time researching and trying to get a few good references from people who had some work done by who you are thinking of having do the work before deciding. You would try to check out a doctor that you were going to have perform surgury, wouldn't you?
Sorry to hear about the work done, but better that you caught it before big bucks were spent on paint. Was there any sort of written agreement or contract? Weren't you the one with the mustang that was having fun fitting shelby panels on?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thats why I have a great name here in Louisville, ky.
I do it the correct way every time and treat the cars that
I work on like they are mine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kenseth17 said:
.... Sorry to hear about the work done, but better that you caught it before big bucks were spent on paint.
Yes definitely better that I caught in when I did. -wish I would have started reading this board a long time ago. In retrospect I would have been better doing it all myself.

Was there any sort of written agreement or contract?
No there was an hourly rate agreement. I should have gone with my gut instinct and pulled the car out of there, when I saw the way he was working on some parts of the car.
This was the second body shop. The first one (hired by the original owner) was very bad also. I had to take the car out of there,

Weren't you the one with the mustang that was having fun fitting shelby panels on?
Yes you got it! Now that I have the sheet metal right, it all should begin to fit much better (I hope) ;)

lowstreet said:
Thats why I have a great name here in Louisville, ky. I do it the correct way every time and treat the cars that
I work on like they are mine.
I wish there were more around here, like you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts