Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been wanting a 12 bolt. i found this one used, localy.

how would this work, provided it is installed correctly, for a street car/truck ?

or
would cutting off all the brackets, and tig welding on locator plates for leafs be ok to do without a jig ?

thanx

btw, what do you think would be far price for this ? its got a spool .

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
First, a spool is a bad idea on the street..........

I have welded perches on without a jig. Bolht everything together first on the leafs.....measure, making sure its square, tack weld the perches and then disassemble to finish weld it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
right on both counts!!!!!!!!!Spool very bad on the street especially if it gets even a little wet, besides it's hard on the rear tires with all the turning you do on the street. As far as the welding no jig....no prob like poncho said line it all up tack it disassemble it finish welding, don't forget to set the pinion angle or she'll vibrate at the least and spit u-joints at the worst. Brian :cool:

·
It'll go, or it'll blow...
152 Posts
Ditto on the "spool is bad" comments and the "check fit of wheels with narrowed rear" comments

Also these disk brakes probably do not have emergency brake provisions for a street car. Also the gear ratio maybe too high for what you want to do. Those are solid (non-vented) rotors. I don't have alot of experience with rear discs on street cars or know how heavy your car is to know if they will hold up on the street.

Welding on leaf spring perches is not too difficult- this is what I've done in the past: Start with your stock rear upside down on workbench and an angle gauge. With the pinion yoke at 90 deg, read the angle of stock leaf perches. Set up the "new" rear with yoke at 90 deg and tack weld new perches at the same angle as the originals (and the corect width apart.) Install rear in car, and measure pinion angle. If it's OK finish welding the perches.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i said it was a spool. to help you give me a somewhat accuate value.
the guy wants $1400 obo. yes, i know a spool is not a good idea for the street.

thanx for the welding advice, thats what i was figuring. but had to ask.

i have been thinking about it. for the price and effort of me getting that thing in my truck =
$1000 (at best) rear.
the effort of cutting that stuff off, and welding the new stuff on = a lot for me.
and then a new gear and posi = $6-700ish. and installing that.

i could get a bolt in from mosser for that.

but, i was also wondering how the ladder bars would be on the street ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts