Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard about guys grafting 78-87 Monte Carlo clips on their 55-59 chevy trucks, i can buy a 78 Cutlass Supreme for about $300. Is this sub the same as a monte clip. One thing that i also heard that it is harder to graft the monte/cutlass clip onto the frame compared to the camaro clip. I really need some help in deciding what to do for my truck. Any one who has done a monte clip graft please please let me know!! Thank you for your time.... Mike!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
The frame widths should be close between the two vehicles where the graft will take place. Track width is also a factor.

The Cutlass and the Monte Carlo share a lot of the same frame/suspension parts and should interchange equally ... as a graft donor. I prefer to NOT cut the frame and graft another cars front suspension. I prefer to upgrade the suspension or add a IFS cross member from the aftermarket ...

·
See project in Photo Album
203 Posts
I agree with Deuce. There are many good aftermarket independent front suspensions out there. Installation would probably be easier and quicker on the aftermarket unit. Plus the finished result would look good compared to some stock from a car setup.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
Another thought.....Most of the time when you find these old subframes or clips there is so much worn out on them for example...ball joints, brake pads, rotors rusted up, calipers stuck, wheel bearings, and seals etc. that by the time you re-work them with new parts you could have just gotten a new IFS cross member from Fatman thats designed to work with your car.....a lot less hassel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the only delema i have about the Mustang 2 is that im a 20 year old college student. The supreme was my buddies car and he went into the navy. the car runs great and drives great. i could go to where the car sits right now and start it up and drive it no problem. but i have found a mustang 2 ifs from fatrodder on ebay that sells for 1400 and some change. but then again if i start saving now by the time i get my chop done on the truck i might have enough money to buy a m2 ifs. Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would Recommend Some More Research

Streamline55, You are smart to ask advise on a big decision like this. I would just do a little more research on this site by searching for info on 55-59 IFS, graphs, g body,etc to get your options.

I personnally decided to graph Camaro Sub into my '57 Chevy Pickup. It is cheaper but does require higher skill level. How are your welding skills? G body graphs are even harder then camaros. I, as well as many others, have made several posting on this subject. Please search around, read what you find, and ask any more questions that you have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with tmeyer. It all comes down to skill level, time and money. Getting a clip on correctly where it is aligned and attached correctly is just half the battle. Getting the sheet metal hung where it is aligned right is the other half. It all sounds simple until you get into it. Unless you are an excellent welder/fabricator, go with a MII based bolt in. You'll pay someone more to install a clip than the MII cost.
Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My welding skills are very good, i have worked in auto body for 4 years now and was training to be a welder in a factory. even though this might be a harder clip to graft, i am working with one of my teachers who has done stuff like this before. he actually used to work for Boyd and 2 other rod shops out in Cali. he is out of town right now so im gonna wait till till he gets back to make my final decision. till then im searching forums every night! thanks for your help guys, Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts