Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Greg Layman and I live in Staunton Virginia. I just inherited a 1971 Chevrolet C10 pickup that my grandfather bought new. When he passed away my father got the truck about 14 years ago. He decided to pass it down to me because I have been wanting a project. I'm pretty much a Ford person (I'm all about my F series trucks) but this truck has a lot of meaning for me, so I'm about to dive into the world of Chevrolet. I'm sure I will have some questions and hope to gain some tips as I begin to trick out this pickup.

Specs on the truck:
1971 Chevrolet C/10 2wd long bed Cheyenne
350 V8,
Turbo 350 automatic transmission
Factory A/C
PS,PB
Camper Certification
Towing Equipped
4:10 rear end (Stock)
86,413 actual miles

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
The 67-72 Chevy/GMC truck was one of the best trucks ever built (IMHO ... and that's not real easy to say ... seeing as how mine is a '66) I like the Ford pickups of the same vintage as well.

There are a TON of parts available for the Chevy/GMC, at "reasonable" prices.

Make your Grandpa proud ... take your time ... and have fun with it!

Welcome to Hotrodders. :welcome:

·
Registered
3 Posts
cheap resto

if your on a budget but want a very nice restoration you should check out the cheap prices at truckandcarshop.com for chevrolets. This is the best site to look up prices. I don't own or have any interest whatsoever in this site or business - just wanted to give my opinon since you are new to Chevy trucks. Also, i am new to this site and hope I did not violate any rules by pointing out the web site.. I would want someone to do the same for me. good luck with G'pa's truck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks wmotor, I will keep that in mind. My first order of business is to get the truck where I can drive it. The truck runs great, however I'm a pretty big boy, and well, I don't fit in the truck. The stock steering wheel is huge and the steering column sticks out way too far. I have contact several companies about a shorter column with no luck. I have ordered a new steering wheel, it helped, but not near enough. Anyone have any ideas??

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
glayman said:
Thanks wmotor, I will keep that in mind. My first order is to get the truck where I can drive it. The truck runs great, however I'm a pretty big boy, and well, I don't fit in the truck. The stock steering wheel is huge and the steering column sticks out way too far. I have contact several companies about a shorter column with no luck. I have ordered a new steering wheel, it helped, but not near enough. Anyone have any ideas??
A tilt column from an early 70's Chevy van (to 76?) is supposedly a virtual bolt-in for both your and my truck. PRNDL is on the column, and the ignition switch is not.

If you locate 2 of those vans ... let me know. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
66GMC said:
A tilt column from an early 70's Chevy van (to 76?) is supposedly a virtual bolt-in for both your and my truck. PRNDL is on the column, and the ignition switch is not.

If you locate 2 of those vans ... let me know. :D

Will do, 66GMC

I was told about company that can custom build steering columns, but they need a bunch of measurements. I will have take the column out to make them. Does any have measurements on stock steering column in a 67 to 72 Chevy/GMC? I don't want to take the column out and not be able to move the truck. I have limited space at my home and I have to occasional move the truck, (though it is very, very tight) until my garage is built. Starting this spring :D .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.