Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno even when I will get to start my build but I might as well start gettin ideas. I just joined this forum and I already have gotten lots of ideas by searching. I bought my 1947 Chevy Fleetmaster 2door for 50 bucks from my cousin back when I was 15...I am now 28. It was my great grandpas car. He used it for everything.. from hauling hay to running around town. It has been sittin for a long long long time. Maybe since the early 70's? I hauled it down to Arkansas from Iowa and put it in the barn out of the weather after I bought it. Built this truck
through out high school and now I am into rockcrawlers
. I dont have a shop but I am hoping I will get to build on this car within next 5 years or so. Any ideas is greatly appreciated. I am thinking rat rod type build. My truck was to shiny made me nervous to drive it anywhere. :D lol here is a pic of the car.

Attachments

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
Awesome pics and awesome that you have your great grandpas car man it don't get much better then that. JMO :thumbup: oh and welcome to the site. :welcome:

Cole
:pimp:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eloc431962 said:
Awesome pics and awesome that you have your great grandpas car man it don't get much better then that. JMO :thumbup: oh and welcome to the site. :welcome:

Cole
:pimp:
Thanks for the warm welcome Cole! You bet I am glad I got my grandpas car and the rest of my family is to...they just want to see it done someday haha hopefully I can make em proud within the next century. :sweat:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome! I love the 40's Chevy's and having one that has been in the family even cooler. I have a '42 Chevy with a '74 Nova front clip and an Olds 455. Your drivetrain options are almost endless, lots of room for big blocks under the hood.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
455olds said:
Welcome! I love the 40's Chevy's and having one that has been in the family even cooler. I have a '42 Chevy with a '74 Nova front clip and an Olds 455. Your drivetrain options are almost endless, lots of room for big blocks under the hood.
I like your engine choice. I want to do something different besides the run of the mill 350 or 454 that everyone and there brother does.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checking in.

Well nothing has changed the car is still sitting in the barn. I have been doing a EFI conversion on my 1973 CJ5 and working on other projects. Other projects being a 4WD conversion on a 2wd Jeep Comanche and a EGR delete, oil cooler replacement, injector replacement etc etc on my 05 Powerstroke. I still plan to build this car someday. I still do not have a large shop like I would want but I do have a two car garage where my wife's car occupies one side and I wrench on the CJ5 on the other.
I do have a short list of ideas started for this car:

Gen II camero(1970- 1981) rearend swap with a change to conventional leaf springs and a sway bar.
Mustang II Front end
700r4 trans or a later model computer controlled trans. I have also considered as of late a manual trans of some kind.
Forced induction straight six? EFI conversion?

I have had sports car fever here lately. I think instead of buying another car I would like make this car's weight as light as possible and it can fit my classic car, sports car, go fast needs. I want it to be as agile as a all metal car of this size can be. I think it would be fun to make were it could go it through a autocross with out to much trouble. Maybe the autocross thing is just a phase I am going through....we will see. My wife and I were out in the barn by the car the other day and she said she was ready to work on it. I told her once I finish our current projects the car maybe next.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The time is now, one day you will wake up and say, Damn I wish I would have worked on that old car. Now it's too far gone to mess with. That car would be great if you put all new suspension under it and a new drivetrain. Then refresh the interior and leave the exterior alone. It's got a great look.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Main thing is to decide on the end game and stick to it.. I would consider the Corvette C-4 suspension.. Engine is up to you but getting a complete donor to me is a good idea..

Sam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts