Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now heres somthing for someone to steal and patton.

Would it be possible to create somthing along the lines of nitrous, but instead have an oxygen injection?

A motor is in essance an oxygen pump(the more oxygen you can cram into a space the better) and the air that the motor takes in naturally is 28% oxygen. now with that in mind, think about the ammount of power you could get if you ran the motor hooked up to an oxygen bottle(100% oxygen). Now the problem with this idea, is Oxygen is VERY VERY volitile, but since the atmosphere has only 28%, we dont burn up. Even if you could inject 50%Oxygen into the motor( i know that realisticly the numbers would be off, because im not factoring in the limits of compression in the motor), in theory on a 300 horsepower motor with 50% oxygen injection you would have now a 366 horse power motor, and it would just multiply exponentially for the more horsepower you have to begin with.

Just a little idea i have had for a while, i havent found anything online about it or in books, so just running it through here as a sounding board. If anyone could help me figgure out how to get the oxygen into the combustion chaimber without exploding the rest of the car.
let me know what you think.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
The nitrogen acts as a buffer so your pistons don't melt or actually burn. I read up on this once and don't remember the particulars but it seemed pretty much impossible b/c of the temps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, thats about what i figgured. but in keeping the %;s arround 50/50 then i dont think that it would get to be too bad. Then again, you could always try to add somthing else that could take the place of the nitrogen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hydrogen is actually very stabel, it gets a bad rep from the hindenburg. it will ignite if under an intense ammount of heat, such as was generated when a flame operated lamp ignited the skin of the hindenburg which contained elements that are now being used as fuel in nasa's rockets and spaceshuttles.

·
BRB carring
522 Posts
i had a similar idea, why not have a tank of compressed air, similar to a turbo or supercharger, force whatever PSI u want into the engine with an electric soliniod u control. on a fuel injected engine for example, have the line run to a box attacked infront of the throttle body. during normal driving it will run normal through an opening in the box, push a button and have say 10psi of forced air pushed into the engine, some sort of large valve or butterfly would have to be used to seal the box so the air just doesnt back out of the opening used when the engine is running n/a. and of course the engine would need more fuel and the timing would have to retard, but i cant see why this wouldnt work. its free horsepower, the only down fall is the weight of the tank and hardware used.

·
Registered
159 Posts
with compressed air or possibly hydrogen i would think you would have moisture issues

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the problem with just an open compressed air tube in a throttle body, or even a carburator you would lose almost any benifit, because the air would not be forced into the motor, just into a general direction you want, you need a constant pressure that goes throughout the intake to be able to get the compression into the combustion chamber, thats why i like the pure oxygen idea, it doesnt need to be in a compressed form to create more power, jsut the extra oxygen itself wil ldo the trick.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
Nitrous is proven, is cool(or downright cold) and costs the same as oxygen. As far as compressed air it would work if the intake track is set up with the throttle blade, compressed air imput then the maf sensor. The throttle would have to close on air imput but i don't think you'll get enough flow from a bottle of compressed air

nitrous

·
BRB carring
522 Posts
mk8-78tabubba said:
the problem with just an open compressed air tube in a throttle body, or even a carburator you would lose almost any benifit, because the air would not be forced into the motor, just into a general direction you want, you need a constant pressure that goes throughout the intake to be able to get the compression into the combustion chamber, thats why i like the pure oxygen idea, it doesnt need to be in a compressed form to create more power, jsut the extra oxygen itself wil ldo the trick.
the way i explained it, there would be a pressurized box that would seal it self and only allow the air from the tank to go into the engine. then when the shot of air is done, the the sealed flap on the box would open and breath n/a again.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's already been done. I remember seeing an old magazine article with pictures of a dragster that someone rigged up on compressed air or oxygen, I forgot which one. It was outlawed on the spot.
I have read about some countries that have built engines run on oxygen from liquid oxygen to power submarines and torpedoes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, that sounds like a plan.

i didnt know that they actually tried this before. but do you know why it was outlawed. was it too dangerous, or too kick a'

also the thing about the compressed air idea, if it is not working in conjunction with an open throttle body, it will more than likely not be able to make up for the lack of volume. and even if it ran 10psi, it would be doing all the pressure, and making only about 3psi more than natural, for that it would be worth looking into a super/turbo.

im not poo-pooing the idea, just seems that it wouldnt be a big enough benifit for the problem. but i tell you what, somthing that is disgussed in this forum will wind up being an alternitive fuel someday.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Its been tried. The idea failed. Whoever tried it had no idea how an engine works, otherwise they wouldn't have wasted teh motor in the first place.

Engines don't run on gasoline or oxygen. They run on nitrogen. Nitorgen, of course, is a neutral componant in the combustion process, but its the reason we make power. Oxygen and gasoline combine and are catylized to make heat. The heat makes the nitrogen expand and push the slug down. The hotter it gets, the more pressure and the more power.

K

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, but you do not need more nitrogen than oxygen, just by chemical reaction it will produce more nitrogen. thats a freshman year physics class right there.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,847 Posts
Someone originally had the same idea, inject oxygen and you should be able to create a hotter flame. This was in the late 30s for aircraft engines -- mainly fighters. More heat = more power, right? Well, an oxygen rich flame burns VERY hot, so hot that after a few seconds you no longer have pistons, just globs of aluminum. So you could get by with it for 2-3 seconds, then would hav to let off for a while for the red hot pistons to cool. That was no good, so they came up with N2O to prevent to much enrichment. That was reliable enough to run for 30-60 seconds, but still don't want to over do it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, that doesnt sound too good. Perhaps when mankind gets better metelurgy technology, i can come back form the dead and patton it, and make big money.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wrong!!

Oxygen by itself is not combustable, 3 things needed to create fire. Fuel,ignition,oxygen. The reason pure 02 is dangerous is the fact that it accelerates the fire somthin awfull. Check with your fire dept to verify.:thumbup: :evil:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Something to keep in mind. In a pure O2 environment, steel is flammable.

btw - Hydrogen is 'very' quick and easy to burn. It has a propensity to bond with just about anything because it has one electron in its orbit...that is what makes it inherently UNstable. Also, the latest studies I've seen on the Hindenburg suggest that the paint on the outside of the zeppelin (some manner of aluminized paint, I forget what exactly) and the landing ropes are what started the fire. It had developed a tremendous static charge and when the ropes got close enough to the earth to ground themselves, the resulting spark ignited the paint on the outside of the zeppelin. It being full of hydrogen didn't help matters, but the hydrogen burning is not what killed nearly everyone on board. The painted coating was burning MUCH hotter than the hydrogen could hope to and was not lighter than the air around it (really hot stuff falling on the people below instead of floating away). This is given a little more validity because the video of the accident clearly shows flames and billowing smoke coming from the ballooon portion itself. Hydrogen does not give off a color as it burns and the stuff it would have been burning in the inflated portion wouldn't have made that much smoke unless it was also some manner of accelerant.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
mk8,

won't work because:

adding the oxygen you made a blast furnace, so hot it will burn the valves and pistons (way to lean)

or

you made a bomb, by the time you add enough gas to the extra oxygen to get the ratio right "kaboom"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.