Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I was led here from some searches for information about Chevrolet Straight 6 (250CID specifically) engines.

I'm currently working on one of those that appears to be from a late 1970's car (Nova or Camaro seems most likely). It's been installed in an early 1960's British Limousine to replace the original Engine (4.0L inline six built by Austin).

The engine I have seems anemic, but it might be the weight it's having to push around. The car weighs over 5,000 pounds empty, and fully loaded tips the scales well over 6,000 pounds.

It's been maintained, but the owners were unaware of some of the issues with these older engines and modern supplies (especially fuel and oil). They were replacing carburetors every 2 to 3 years (and using cheap Chineseum knockoffs from Amazon), and fuel pumps about every year. All of that seems to stem from ethanol blend fuels. We're now feeding this one an ethanol free diet. Oil may also be an issue. It saw 2 or 3 trips to "Iffy Lube" every year for an oil change. I'm pretty sure it was getting "whatever" modern oil they had, possibly in 5W30 weight. I suspect there's cam wear/damage from a lack of adequate zinc in the oil.

On the positive side, the thing is relatively leak free, and it has HEI ignition (no points, and that's a decent system IMO).

They are looking for more grunt, either from upgrades to this engine, or from an engine swap. The front of the engine bay is extremely narrow, and some limey put the bloody steering column on the right ("passenger") side of the car, so clearance will be an issue in an engine swap. A 4.3L V6 (either Gen I or the newer 2014+ Gen V version) might be possible. I don't see any LS/LT V8 as a possibility. There's not likely adequate clearance for the exhaust. The AC would have to be relocated in order to fit the engine between the frame rails, and I don't think the hood lines are wide enough at the front to clear a high mounted AC compressor. An Atlas 5 banger or 6 banger might fit better, but exhaust clearance to the steering will be very tight with that.

So I'm really looking at upgrades to the 250 straight 6 we have now. I'll probably start a thread in the engine section with more details.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking forward to pictures of you Austin Princess with a 260 Chevy engine.
Well, I don't want to argue. Can we compromise at "Vanden Plas Princess 4 Liter" which is how it's listed on the chassis serial number plate. That one identifies the chassis maker as "Vanden Plas Ltd., Kingsbury, London NW9 England"

After 1960, this model was known as the "Vanden Plas Princess," and was delivered with either Austin coachwork or with Rolls Royce coachwork. This example has a coachwork serial number plate with Rolls Royce badging.
Yea,its the weight.anywho,welcome
Are you calling the paying passengers in the back seat fat? :D

More updates on my "Power upgrades" thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts