Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a grill insert for my 1923 bucket. All I can find is where I have to buy the whole deal radiator shell and grill insert. Not wanting to pay $400 just for a grill. Any suggestions?

Also thanks to all suggestions about overheating. As you can see I did a test fabrication, I changed water pump and thermostat, and seems to have helped. Yesterday sitting at red light water temp went up to about 230 but I’m sure timing needs to be adjusted. Thanks

Oh yeah also shortened throttle cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Ran across the same problem when I built a '32 roadster. I used 3/16" rod and everything I layed out just didn't look right. Just got done reading The Da Vinci Code and in there was mentioned the universal proportion of 1 + square root of 5 divided by 2. Used it to set the spacing and it worked great. In your case I would think a mesh of some sort would look better. Something like the expanded metal mesh. Keep working on it, something will click.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to find a grill insert for my 1923 bucket. All I can find is where I have to buy the whole deal radiator shell and grill insert. Not wanting to pay $400 just for a grill. Any suggestions?

Yogi's has a part # G-BLANK. It's about $300, but there's probably enough material for you to make 2 grill inserts for that car.

.bjb

·
Registered
2 Posts

Also thanks to all suggestions about overheating. As you can see I did a test fabrication, I changed water pump and thermostat, and seems to have helped. Yesterday sitting at red light water temp went up to about 230 but I’m sure timing needs to be adjusted. Thanks

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I used stainless steel woven wire mesh in my '26 T. It has 1/8" x 1/8" openings. Looks and works great. The woven mesh is pretty tough stuff. I wish I could tell you where I got it. I only remember it was a marine supply outfit. If you are already having overheating problems, you want to be aware that you can inhibit air flow to the radiator very easily.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,863 Posts

Retarded ignition timing can definitely cause overheating As far as the grill goes, I used stainless steel mesh that I bought from Granger on my T-bucket. Looked awesome. I had to sell it in 2019 due to bad back

Attachments

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,863 Posts
Retarded ignition timing can definitely cause overheating As far as the grill goes, I used stainless steel mesh that I bought from Granger on my T-bucket. Looked awesome. I had to sell it in 2019 due to bad back
Photos courtesy of the guy who I sold it too. I unfortunately deleted my pictures from my phone yet have them on my computer.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.