Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a grille for my 38 Chevy coupe. I've seen a few on the web from Superior Glass Works, Harris Engineered Reproductions, and Chevs of the 40s. Can anyone comment on any of these or point me to another source? I looked at a couple of custom grilles, but they were much too expensive.
Thanks,
Ed

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I have gotten several things from Chevs of the 40s and have been very pleased with the quality and service. Anyway, my guess there is one outfit that actually manufactures the reproduction grilles and all of the guy you mentioned are simply resellers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the grilles from Harris and Chevs of the 40s are very similar, so I would agree that they probably resell them. The one from Superior looks significantly different than the other two, and I really don't care for that one. The grill on the cover of the December 2004 issue of Street Rod Builder is really nice, but MUCH too costly.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Incidentally, there is one on ebay right now that is in pretty good shape except for a couple of bars on the driver's side. They are pretty mangled but if you are skilled in restoring sheet metal trim you might consider it. I'm sure it would save many $$ if you can do the DIY thingie.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the grilles on e-bay, thanks. I'm a decent wrench, but I don't have the metalwork skills to do anything like that. The only torch I can use is a cutting torch.

I also checked out Alumicraft, but he doesn't yet have a 38 grille, although he is working on it. I may meet him at the Detroit Autorama in March to talk more. In any case, his grille will also be VERY expensive.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You are right about the expense. Willys 36 did a great job on fabricating his grille, it looks very good and probably wasn't horribly expensive.

The grille is a large percentage of what you see on the vehicle from the front. Don't know how you are building the rest of the car but you may well have spent thousands on engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc. All important stuff no one can see. My thoughts are to also make what you can see very nice and if necessary spend a little on it.

Any possibility you have a connection / buddy to fix the grille from Ebay? Maybe trade labor?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a friend who is a welder, but I don't really want a worked over stock grille. I'm looking for something a bit more custom looking. You're right about the grille being a big part of the look of the car, so I might just have to shoo the moths out of the wallet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts