Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After writing up a thread all depressed about the initial break-in failure titled: "When luck just does not want to be on your side...," walking around getting everything planned so I can efficiently remove the intake and inspect the lifters on Sunday, for what is most likely to be a chewed lobe, then remove the camshaft for an attempt at asking for warranty (worth a shot), when I came back into my room, and to my surprise, I saw what appeared to be a glimmer of hope poking it's shiny smooth polished saran-wrapped surface out from underneath the bed!

I forgot! I still have the Engine Pro MC1730 camshaft and lifters! I am not going to get my hopes up too much, as I specifically picked the comp cams with 230 duration since I am running 10.4:1 compression (pain to rotate by hand with spark plugs installed!) and I need to bleed off compression at idle, so I am going to ask for all your opinions is it worth a shot?

I just can't have it sit there with no cam, not sealed up during this monsoon season, and I wont be able to afford a new cam for quite some time. I wish I could install a thicker gasket to help with my over-excited issues with compression rush madness design flaw, but a thicker gasket would only mess up my .042 quench and make matters worse.

I hand polished the forged pistons to stave away any detonation, and I am running aluminum heads, it is chocked by the little 600cfm mech. Holley, it may be a strange combo with the RPM air-gap intake, unless it's a huge risk factor of destroying all, is it worth a shot?

Removal of center springs, use of the 1.5 rockers instead of the 1.3's for more pushrod clearance, and better break-in lube (paste) will be in order of course.

It says on the card for the cam: @.050 duration: 204 int, 214 exh.
Valve Lift: int .422, exh .444

Link to PDF: http://www.engineproparts.com/downloads/EPCatalogCams.pdf (it's under 'chevrolet v8' first page, 4th one down)

Don't worry about bursting my happy bubble, I need the truth, can it work on 91 octane? or even with an octane boost?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
take the engine out,take it apart and clean it clean it clean it,put back together with any and all repair parts required.
nows your chance to put a good cam in there if you want power
Luckily I had the oil bypass blocked so all the oil had to go through the filter, and at this point, I don't care about power anymore lol.

Just emailed the guys who built my short-block about what needs to be done to clean the block in the event of a chewed camshaft lobe.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did more reading on Dynamic Compression, it does not look like it's possible to run that cam without having to worry about detonation.

Might be able to use some of the old 76cc smog heads and that cam... will see, would be sad, but I need something to get me to college and back. Would still get 9.11:1 static compression, who would have thought? lol

This is where I looked: http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you calculate the DCR with the cam put in 6º late?
Not yet, reading up on how to calculate it, still don't understand it all. By that, do you mean installing the cam 6* retarded? It's currently set at the crank 4* retard which is 2* at the camshaft. (only way I was able to get enough intake valve clearance)

I am actually going to head off to bed now, and calculate all that in the morning when im more awake lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts