Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had to redo my parents roof this weekend, and for late september it was hot, I got a sunburn on both my shoulders and neck. Was very surprised. Any of you guys in here roof?. If you Do, I have a lot more respect for you guys. It's the first time I have ever re-done a roof and it wasn't anything like I expexted. Just carrying the 140 90lb bags of shingles up to the roof was pretty dam tiring.

James
- drive it like it's stolen -

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep, [long sigh], Fall is definitely here. :( It went down to 4 degress Celcius last night and it was downright chilly. :pain:
I started pulling out my garden today, so depressing, but yet so rewarding. Now comes the time when we make the pickles and do the freezing and make the salsa. It's time to clear a spot in my preserves cupboard for all the sealer jars and put down the boxes that I'll store the carrots and beets in over the winter. Pulled out all the bean plants and pea plants. Guess I'll leave the cucumbers and tomatoes until the very last minute, hoping to get just a few more ripe ones before old man winter comes knocking at my door.

We're having fresh garden veggies with our supper tonight!!:)

Chickie.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gardening is one of my hobbies. I just love the satisfaction of serving something at the supper table that I grew myself. And I know it's healthy food for my kids.
I was hoping to whip up some pickle brine today, but I just realized that I don't have any dill weed. Have to go and get some so I can make pickles tomorrow. I'm probably just going to freeze the tomatoes and do the salsa later on. I don't think I'm going to have the time to do it right now, we're right in the middle of a main floor renovation to our house, and things aren't quite where they all should be right now.:rolleyes:

Hey Tazz, 46 degrees is still 14 above the freezing mark, 4 degrees Celcius is only 4 degrees above freezing. We're lucky we didn't get any frost last night. Tonight it's only supposed to go down to 7, so we're safe for one more night. (I hope)

Chickie.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I love gardening, but if i was to do it I'd want a 100' x 50' garden, not what i'm limited to now. ..... I do love my irises. I have a big can of dried dill. hardly ever use the stuff, too lazy to make pickles. too much gardening = less HR. .......:rolleyes:

sposed to be in the fifty's here tonight. Love that cool air.:pimp:

·
Registered
159 Posts
yeah, our garden is just small. The kids would be upset if I turned their whole backyard into garden, but they like the fact that we have one and they really like to pick fresh veggies, wash 'em under the tap and chow down. Our garden is about 30' long by 15' wide, but big enough for a good variety of veggies. With that and the three apple trees we have a good supply of healthy stuff.
I make juice, pie, jelly and apple sauce from the apples, on top of the ones that just get picked and eaten. We have Crabs, Normandies and MacIntosh. In the garden I plant peas, green beans, wax beans, radishes, Romaine lettuce, beets, tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. I also have a small herb garden where I grow chives.
Yep, we're a well rounded family (that didn't come out right:drunk: ).
Didn't have much time for flowers this year, I'm hoping to do better with that next year.

Chickie.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
the little lady who lived next door to us when we first moved to crockett, I was talking to her son one day, he was talking about his garden, invited me out to pick some veggies, My Lord, I bet this thing was five acres. I guarantee it was the size of an american football field. I said about as much, he said he only wanted to pick his garden once, so he planted it big enough to do that, and put up what they'd need for the year. then he'd let family and friends do what they could to it...... thats the way to go.:thumbup:

I can dig the homemade preserves and jellies. We've had figs, grapes, and peach trees, but with the exception of the grapes, they all got ate up by birds and bugs before they got ripe.....

don't forget the obligatory texas pecan trees........

and chives.:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's nice to be able to share your garden with others. We usually have way more than the 5 of us can eat, and even with the veggies that we winter we still have plenty to share with family and friends. Some of our friends also have small gardens (smaller that ours even), but we trade produce because we all grow different things. One friend of mine grows pumpkins, so as long as the crappy weather hasn't severely stunted their growth we should have our pick for jack'o'lanterns this year.

Hmmmm, all this talk of fall gives me an idea. I think I'll take the kids to the park to collect leaves tomorrow...Grampa needs a new collage. :D

Chickie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.