Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Slider in Wa.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not, or rather have not, found a site that discusses how to apply por 15. Can it be sprayed on? How much psi? Does it take a special gun? How do you thin it, or clean up after it? The site i found, says it is tough to get off after it is applied, and a real bear to clean up after? They did not have any information on how to apply it other than with a brush? Do you have to use a special primer over it prior to paint?
Thanks in advance.
Slider in Wa.

·
Slider in Wa.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know the answers here?

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
Hey, Slider

This is from their instruction sheet :

Stir - do not shake. Refridgerate unused portion for longer shelf life. Apply thin coats - 1 to 2 mil thick. Minimum 2 coats.

Spray Applications : Use 30-35 lbs pressure for normal gloss. Reduce pressure for lower gloss (20-25 lbs). Thin only with POR-15 Solvent, if necessary. If you're gonna topcoat later, apply a very light dust coat of primer over tacky POR-15 and let dry. To topcoat a fully cured POR-15 surface, wetsand with 600 grit until gloss is dull, then paint.

I hope that helps.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey slider- when I've used it I always use a disposable (cheap) brush, 3 coats, then primer or finish coat if it is under a fender (where I usually use it) It is VERY durable and chip resistant and I have never had it fail- but I mainly use it on real hard to treat areas like under fenders, under a roof, inside a door jamb, etc. You'll get addicted to it once you try it!!!

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
Get a real cheap gun(throw away) to spray it with as it is very difficult to clean unless you use the POR 15 solvent. The stuff is very tough I put it on the 36 in 87 and it still looks good. :cool:

·
8,453 Posts
Be careful spraying this stuff! It is urethane and has urethane's nasty tendency to not come off ANYTHING, especially skin! Have you ever used Gorilla wood glue and got the stuff on your hands? Only way to get rid of that stain is to wait 'till you grow a new layer of skin. POR15 is exactly the same way - get a spot on your skin and it is permanent for a week or so. Saving grace is that it brushes so easily with absolutely no brush marks that there really isn't any reason to spray and chance overspray and ruined gun disasters. Get a box of 30 2" chip brushes from Harbor Freight for $10 or so and a good set of long rubber gloves and go for it!

Also, get it in small cans. Once opened, the can will go solid within weeks. I ruined more quarts than I would like to admit B4 I started getting pints.

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: [email protected] ]</p>

·
Slider in Wa.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now guys that was some great , and very usefull info. Great feedback!! Thank you so much.
Slider in Wa.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I agree with Willys on getting the small can packs.and disposable brushes. i bought a quart and it has gone way farther than I anticipated. I use my foodsaver to vacuum pack it til the next time. still liquid as of this writing. (knock on wood) did you check out the web page?

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: crazy larry ]</p>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What they said! :D

I've sprayed it a few times to get into places a brush couldn't, but I usually buy some of those disposable rattle cans and cups, not a gun. Make sure if you use brushes the bristls are held in with rubber or glue and not crimped. A stray bristle is as bad as a bug on a death crawl.

POR-15 thins with POR-15 solvent and it can be removed with POR-15's paint stripper. Their site, with a bit of surfing, can tell you all you need to know.

<a href="http://www.por-15.com" target="_blank">POR-15</a>

HK

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used it in the engine compartment on the frame. great stuff! problem was, when I had a fuel leak (leaded 112 octane) the POR 15 bubbled up very badly! :cool:

·
Slider in Wa.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the input. I want to use it under fenders, and under the floor. Would i need to use a "line x" type spray over the por 15? Or is the por 15 durable enough on it`s own? It appears i should be carefull not to get it on surfaces that will get finish paint on it.
Slider in Wa.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
No, spray it anywhere and everywhere you want. POR-15 is strong enough to handle any road debree and any topcoating paint or primer. You could seal the entire vehicle in it if you had the green and the want to do it. After it cures you can ware your arm out scuffing it for primer or buy their Tie Coat primer that bonds to the POR-15 then paint right over it. The only time it needs to be topcoated is if it will be in direct sunlight. POR-15 is UV sensetive (like me!) and will discolor, but when topcoated with either their topcoats or primer/primer+paint.

HK

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got a question regarding POR-15. I just baught some of the rust preventative paint. I am going to paint my bonnet in it so it wont rust (its bare at the moment and i'm not painting the car for about a year). Anyway the sales rep told me to put two coats of the POR 15 on and then while its still tacky apply a light dust coat of primer. This will allow me to spray over it later without using the tie coat. My question is can i use any primer. The car will be sprayed in 2 pac, but can i just use any old primer??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best Place

The best place to get POR-15 is por15store.com. I have call them many times and they always have answers and are always there. The products came with really good instruction sheets.

I am telling you - get it from www.por15store.com and you will not be disappointed.

Fred

·
Registered
1 Posts
FINALLY, a way to get gorilla glue OFF your skin!!

well, i came here trying to find an answer to this very question, as my husband almost glued his hands together, and he found a way to get that stuff off...

CAUTION: This crap BURNS!!! but it works!

ingredients
peroxide
pine sol
ajax cleanser
spic n span complete home cleaner
spic n span everyday spray cleaner
a little bit of cooking oil..

mix it together and use it kind of like soap.. be careful not to breathe! LOL... after approximately 25 seconds, rinse it off and dry, and you'll be fine... hey, i trust him to touch me now, so it must work!!

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,299 Posts
All POR users please click HERE.

Brian

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Oh my god Roger, that is a great thread. Thanks for posting that.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,299 Posts
You are very right Roger, as I say over and over in that thread, it has it's place. I just hate for people to believe the POR hype.

As I said as well, go out or call professional shops in the neighborhood. Restoration, collision, fleets, I don't care what. How many are using POR?

POR is to the auto paint industry what the "Ab-cruncher" is to fitness insustry.

Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts