Hot Rod Forum banner

Half leaf coilover suspension like Wonderbar by Fatman

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 · (Edited)
I have rodded 1946 Ford 5 window coupe with parallel leafs from an unknown source. I have been thinking of building a Fatman Wonderbar type suspension. It is half leaves with coilovers and panhard bar. I was thing of getting leaves from a late model 3/4 ton truck. I figure the heavier spring should limit wheel hop. I wanted to mount the front of them to the inner side of frame rail instead of bottom as it is now. Any advice on set up or build would be great. Oh by the way, this is my first post on this unbelievable site!

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Here's a site that did that.

http://www.dieselchevettes.com/PDF/thebadseed.pdf

Fats' is just a takeoff of the mopar super stock springs, that are cut off and suspended with coil overs instead of quarter elipticals. Stiff front, soft quarter eliptical rear. Fats' uses a 1/2 monoleaf and coils.

Actually all it does is make the front half into a semi-flexible traction bar/locater link and suspends it with coil overs.

All you need to do is add a main leaf to your existing stack, or turn the leaves around front to back, then clamp them well at each leaf, and do what you want with the rear half.

This "exotic set up" has been used for 40 years that I know of..... Fats just finally marketed it.

Oh, I have a homemade set up on my car for 15 years, and other cars since the 60s. Works. :thumbup:

#5 ·
This is just essentially a 2 link suspension isn't it?? I was thinking about trying to do something like this with my f100 and use airbags. I would love to see some better pictures of how its set up too. I saw it done on Monster Garage once but I've heard it wasn't a good idea?

#6 · (Edited)
home brew said:
xntrik - Do you use a panhard bar as well?
Unless you are using the full front and rear leaf (becomes essentially quarter eliptical), you must run a pan/watts for coils or coilover.

Definitely use urethane bushings in place of the rubber everywhere.
Running the mopar-ss type with full urethane works well. I can't deal with solid front bushings... :nono:

I have never run a locating link on a full leaf car, but they are a good idea for roundy rounds with extreme side loads. Watch your left/right roll center.

Definitely remove the rubber isolators between the springs and the mounting pads. They are just more flex.

added= Remember those old tall shackles that made the rear end sway side to side?.... LOL

#7 · (Edited)
ylwdog1 said:
do you have pictures? Did you clamp th springs? What kind of leafs did use? It seems easy, how come we don't see it more?
Ancient technology. Not as slick as 4 link, no bragging rights, etc.

Stock leaves, flip the 2-3-4 front to back.
Clamp the forward leaves to make it more rigid. Use 1/2 x 1 1/2 strap with 3/8 gr 8 bolts, heads down. paint black.... stealthy

I installed a second main leaf and dropped the short one all together on the particular set/car that I have/ hand built. Rides great, plants the tires, stealthy.

99% don't know what they are looking at, or even care.

Fatmans has a decent picture in his ads.
The Chevette article has a fair picture in it.

Here's a mopar-ss spring from Summit. Notice there are 4 leaves at the clamp.. main and 3 more = stiff front..... note #2 leaf will reach up under eye when installed weight is on the spring.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.