Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, after my first responce she said yeah what else. (joke) I was thinking of getting the Mini Mill from Harbor frieght and tools, has anyone bought one? what else would I need with it?

Regards
Mark:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
mini mill

I was just looking at their catalogue a few days ago myself. I think if I were to aquire one, I would go for the biggest one they have. I think its about 2 HP.

Another consideration, is are you going to just use it occasionally for your own stuff, or try to go commercial. If its just for your own use, it will probably last you a lifetime. If you are wanting to go commercial, I would probably opt for a better brand name. like Bridgeport or some such.

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
hummm well I was at one of their stores a few months ago and I was looking at their lathes, I thought it was a pile of junk. If its anything like that (hopefully not) I wouldn't bother. i have been thinking about a Smithy tho...

-Leo-

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
harbor freight

Ive wondered about that. All Ive ever seen was the catalogues.
Ive heard of the outfit in Washington or Oregon named Smithy-built. Pretty good stuff from what Ive heard, just a little on the small side. Not sure it would work for doing stuff like heads and intakes.

·
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was looking at a smaller one for several reasons first is cost, then size. I don't have the room for a big mill, also I'm really no machinist so I'd send my heads and stuff out. This was more for making small one off and such. I'd LOVE to be able to have a full size mill. But the cost is way outa my league

Regards
Mark:thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thank da big man every day I have access to a 2-j and a 4 j birdgeport every day... a knock off 2-j bridgeport (max mill) two lathes, two linclon 300 tigs, lincon 250 mig, (all at the pops machine shop) My miller plascut and my dynatstar baby tig!!! Not to mention the 15 HP IR compressor and all My Sata paint guns...

would that be a good pic for the garage section?

My question would be how much tolerances these machines would have>? I hate when the bridgeports is full and I gotta use the maxmill, you can tell the difference,.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.