Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys transmission guru i aint, i had the tranny rebuilt and installed about a month ago been doing great today when you shift from park to drive or reverse it shifts moderately hard. was doing fine yesterday. this is one that i dont know where to start looking, is it an exterior problem or ???????? give me suggestions here because i really do not know where to start looking on this one.

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
You may want to take a look at the shift linkage. The parts that move from your shifter through a few joints and then into the trans. Something might be caught up or hanging on it. Other then linkage problems it would be something in the trans maybe to tight? Talk to the place that rebuilt the trans for you. They may look at it for you free of charge and if it is something they did wrong will fix it. It's your best bet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my th-350 after rebuilding it, shifted fine for a week then started to shift hard bewteen certain gears. After pulling the pan it ended up being a valve body bolt that had not been tightened enough and had backed off to the point where it was interferring with the manual shift linkage. An easy way to check if the probelm is in the external linkage or is inside the trasmission is to disconenct the linkage at the transmission then turn the flange that is attached to the transmission by hand, if this still has a hard shift feel to it then you will know the problem is internal.
-Jon

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
if your talking about the actual shift in into gear is hard, maybe its the nut that holds the shifter "rooster comb" or detent in place... i rebuilt a tranny where it came loose and i bought a tranny where it came loose... twice! i ended up drilling the nut full of holes, saftey wireing the nut (a lock nut) using lock tight and a lock washer... lol i was NOT going to take a chance as not only did mine bind up on me, the detent seperated and left me with only 1st gear and i had to drive home from school in first.. soo i had to take it all apart and fix her so i could drive to school (20 min drive with all gears) in a decent time. if the actualy shifting is hard maybe its a sticking valve in the valve body???? let us know what you find..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts