Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having engine perf. problems,so it looks like.86 chevy van g20 305 rochester quadra.i have to pump the gas about 4 times in order for it to start every morning it idles rough at times when warmed up,could it be the carburator,float not adjusted right?

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
Yer probably real close man, I got a rochester varajet on a 2.8 and the float actually broke which caused an identical problem. A simple carb rebuild, possibly a new choke and she should be back purring like a kitten.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Not running right

How many miles do you have on the carburetor?
How long has it been doing this?
Have you checked your choke to see if its closing properly?
How longs it been since you did an ignition tuneup?
Has the carb been rebuilt in the past or recently?

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Likely the problem is, being it`s a Q-jet, the main wells are leaking down. This causes fuel to puddle in the intake after shut down, and the bowl has to refill hence why it takes longer to start. Quadrajets are notoriously famous for this, while it may not be the entire problem, being it`s as old as it is you can bet it`s playing a role. You can repeen the wells with a hammer and flat ended punch, then clean them real good and apply a epoxy to keep them from leaking any further. with the carb apart, place the main body over a bucket and fill the bowl with fuel and see where the drips are coming from, this will give you the clue where to peen them, after peening them and applying the epoxy, do the same thing to assure the leak is gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the carburator was rebuilt about a year ago but the guy that did it looked a little flakie.about 1 month ago i did the oil change plugs,ign.wires,cap,coil,i was going to change the ign. module (5 pin) for a better quality one since the one that it has now doesn't even have a brand.The problem started about 2 months ago thats why i gave it a tune up,oh i forgot to mention it also diesels when its driven for a while and then shut off,i checked the timing and its within specs.So im either running rich,or carbon deposits (hot spots) keep igniting the fuel,now that i think about it its probably both.......what do you think?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts