Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 chevelle that is hard to start. The problem began right after I had the ignition cylinder lock replaced on the tilt column.
The car also has an under dash ignition kill switch installed by the previous owner and a remote starter solenoid setup.

So ,with the kill switch in the "on" position the engine turns over easily and as expected does not fire up. In the "off"position when I want the car to run the engine turns over very slowly and is hard to start. So where do I begin? Should I be looking at the rod that runs from the ignition cylinder to the ignition switch? What checks or adjustments do I need to make.

Thanks for any help, Peter

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
Sounds like your timing is too far advanced....when the "kill" switch is on, there is not spark, so there is no resistance on the pistons due to combustion on the upstroke.

Back the timing off and try it.

Are you running vacuum advance and low initial timing....or no vacuum advance and a lot of initial advance?

I bet the latter...................

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.