Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm installing a March Performance Serpentine belt system on my SBC 350. Bought a new balancer from Summit and it appears I pressed it on too far? how the pulley's are not in alignment.... and I used the proper tool and it seems the balancer still has more to go back. What is the proper measurement on how far back it should be?

Should I pull it back out to get alignment with the pulley system?

I'm a little green and would appreciate any help. Right now, the measurement from the front of block beneath the timing cover to the outer front edge of the harmonic balancer is 2 and 3/4 roughly.

What in the world have I done or do I do!?

Thanks for your help
David

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
What year is your SBC350?

The balancer needs to go in far enough to press up against the crank gear. This makes me think, that you have a newer block, with a plastic timing cover, combined with the older style balancer.

On the newer blocks, you need to re-install the crank sensor trigger wheel, or a spacer of the same thickness.

IIRC, I have seen some balancer listings, that allow you to, not have to use the trigger wheel, or spacer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's been a fun question. late 70's crate motor, I think roughly 78 or 79. its back id say 1/4" too far, and seemed to still be going back! im trying to line it up with a march perf. serpentine system. should I just back it out that 1/4 inch?

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
As I posted, the balancer 'snout' needs to press against the crankshft timing gear. You can't leave that loose. :nono:

Check with March, and see if you must use a different crank pulley on that engine. It may just be, that the crank pulley supplied is for the newer SBC's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will do. is there any measurement I can use to verify or anything? its gone way back in there even past where my timing marker is out further than the balancer. granted, im using an aftermarket edelbrock aluminum timing cover and a summit pro street oem balancer. comp cams double roller timing gear and chain.

ill call march... its definitely a tight and no tolerance fit.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The balancer has to go all the way back. You can't just position it anywhere you want. Sounds like you have a mismatch on parts somewhere.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
dhunt00c said:
will do. is there any measurement I can use to verify or anything? its gone way back in there even past where my timing marker is out further than the balancer. granted, im using an aftermarket edelbrock aluminum timing cover and a summit pro street oem balancer. comp cams double roller timing gear and chain.

ill call march... its definitely a tight and no tolerance fit.
Double, and triple check the application, and part number on your timing cover also.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep! guess I will try to pull the stinkin thing off and compare to the one that came off to see it they are built different somehow.

may also try the heat it up method to ensure im not forcing something to the point its causing some other problem. so no measurement is what im hearing???

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
dhunt00c said:
what do u mean on the timing cover question? not trying to be dumb, just don't understand how this could affect?
You said that the balancer was going on too far, and it is past your timing pointer. If your balancer has not pressed all the way in yet, press it untill it bottoms out.

I suggested to double check the part number, to make sure you have the correct one, before bottoming out your balancer, and damaging the timing cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.