Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
There must have been a coil heater that got put inside damper. Seen pictures of one for a diesel but never in real world.
Factory isnt concerned about average Joe proceedures were for a well equipped shop.
Must not have worked too good since they quit that setup and started threading nose of crank.

If it were me I would not pound it on there. :smash: Get a piece of round stock thats just a tiny bit smaller than crank snout and heat the crap out of it with torch, place it in there for a while, pop it out of there, and quick slip damper onto crank. Piece of cake. :D

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
I use a little lube on the snout and a dead-blow plastic hammer. Never use a metal hammer directly on the balancer, you'll not only maybe crack the balancer, but also you're basically taking your carefully assembled rotating assembly and vibrating the heck out of it. Always something "deadblow" like a wooden mallet, plastic mallet with bead shot in it, or a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If it's on a stand then cut a timber wedge to go between the crank flange and the stand - it acts as a sort of shock absorber and minimises pounding on the thrust bearing. In car there's not much you can do but pray.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.