Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i'm more or less a newbie on this forum, so i haven't really got to know anyone yet. I have a 2000 toyota celica gt-s, so i am on newcelica.org forums every day.

I've decided to research a way to run an aftermarket crank pulley which has no dampener on a 4 cylinder engine (the celica specifically, for now. also, any engine will probably work, except rotary engine, for this case.). The reason for this is because i have been told by a few different people with a seemingly healthy knowledge of engines and how they work that there is absolutely no way to do this. However I refuse to accept this. Why? well, we're dealing with mechanics. One way or another, it can be done. And i plan on figuring out how.

Ok. So, the reason that I am posting about this on this forum is because I want some expertise from a different spectrum of hotrodding. I think you guys can help me a lot here, and since a lot of you are older than most celica owners, you're probably more experienced in any aspect of hotrodding, and may know more about this.

So, please post away with your thoughts and expertise.
Thanks!

Justin

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,814 Posts
Less rotating weight, Faster RPM's.

I can't appreciate the need to do this on the street. We (others) do it in circle track cars because weight is everything. It is really the name of the sport. When trying to make power under a set of rules mandated to keep cost's down, reducing weight to free up power is the easiest and one of the only way's to go faster than the competiton. The street's only rule is knowledge and money. I however, have found that using the biggest, heaviest damper I can get net's the most power in our testing of certain combo's. I can't theorize on the why's yet for I'm still studying individual cylinder timing. So far we found 15 horse at 8200 but burning a piston stopped the result's early.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think your idea will work. I know my 2.3 Ford doesnt have a damper and probably lots of other 4 cylinder engines dont either, short little crank doesnt need one. I lightened the pulley on my engine and have to agree about making things light engine revs very fast.

I have no idea what type of belt system you have but a 2.5 GM has a nice serpentine pulley that bolts to a crank hub. Maybe that would be a good starting point.

Youre going to have to mock it up do some measuring and have access to a lathe & mill. Be ready to make a few prototypes that arent quite right first. :D

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
You can make any pulley your heart desires, best to make it out of 7075 aluminum as it will last the longest...6061 aluminum pulleys tend to wear out quickly especially on high rpm engines (cast AL pulleys aren't much better). As for eliminating the harmonic balancer, the guys have told you it has been done many times before and I have made my share of bolt on non-harmonic crank pulleys.

Just remember removing the harmonic weight tends to be hard on bearings and crankshafts, the longer the crank the worse the effect. Many factory 4 cyl cranks have no harmonic weight on the crank because of the stiffness and short length.

What is the project?:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the answers so far. the main reason i want to figure this out is because i was told it wouldn't work, i now i want to prove that it will.

the basic engine platform is an inline 4 cylinder engine with manual transmission. the oil pump is on the crank pulley, and it's a serpentine setup.

one great thing that can come from this is getting to the engine's HP quicker. in stock form, it rates at 180 HP at 7600 RPM and has a redline of 8400 RPM. so, the quicker the engine revs, the quicker i can utilize all the pretty horses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.