Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am looking for fenders for a 37 Ford Tudor. I got a email from this glass fender place called R and R Fiberglass. They are located in Decator, Tn. Has anyone heard of them?? I would like to know if there product is any good.. Thanks..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Very good quality. I used all four fenders and running boards on my 39 GMC. 1 front fender did have a void in the glass that had to be repaired but all in all a quality product. Remember when using fiberglass parts they will have to be "massaged" to get them to fit correctly.. Definately not a ready to bolt on product.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/22403/cat/500/page/1

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked with the BBB of Tn. There are two complaints against them that havn't been resolved yet. Gets a little scary right now if I bought both front and back.
Do you have any tips on how to do the fenders?? I saw that there were both standard, and 2" wider. I think I would rather stay with what came standard. If i bought fenders now.. Do you think they would be ok, untill next spring when I put them on?? How hot does it need to be in order to put them on?? Did you send for them, or pick them up yourself??
I like there prices.. I can afford that. Wescotts has gotten to high for me. If you are just starting out. I figured it out, and it would cost me over $2,000 for fenders front and rear. I wouldn't be able to buy them unless I won the lottery or Ed McMan calls..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wescotts has gotten to high for me. If you are just starting out. I figured it out said:
Just remember, you get what you pay for. If I am forced to use cheap fiberglass, I lightly sand blast them before I do anything else. You would be amazed at all the air pockets under the gel coat. I learned this the hard way. Any pockets you miss will bubble the first time you take you're pride and joy out in the sun.
Bob

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then.. Do you know of another place that might be good?? I have worked with some glass, but that was over 30 yrs ago when I was in trade school. Alot has changed since then..

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
Hey AP, a former Duluthian here, moved away in 77. Just a thought on the fenders, I'd get the wider fenders, makes wheel offset choices a bit easier, and with a fiberglass fender on the front, making a turn and hitting a pothole could result in some damage. Wider rear fenders will get you a wider tire and thats always good. Dan

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have been gone a while so apologize for my late input. I have glass fenders on my 36 PU. The first set were from Gibbons Fiberglass and were the first ones available for the PU when I bought them. After 20 years and 207,000 miles, I replaced them with B-Bops, made in Decatur, Tn. (wonder if they are the same company?). They are much better fenders in that they have more glass and have the full rolled edge. I am very happy with these fenders and would recommend them to anyone. I also looked at Wescotts before buying and these appeared to be as good (I liked them better) and saved a bundle.

If you are getting wider fenders, then you will need wider running boards as well. If you go with glass running boards, you may want to look at having them covered with Line-X, a quality spray on bed liner that will not scratch. In fact, If I ever build another glass fendered car/truck, I will have it sprayed on the back side and never worry about a spider rock crack again.

Trees

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. That is some good advice. I think if I were to buy glass I would go with Rod N Race. I have talked with them, and I can get fronts for $275. That is alot better than the $470 from Wescotts.. Yet aI am still going to look for steel ones. I know that they are out there... Just have to find them..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts