Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tossing around the idea of trying to make a cooled cup holder using a peltier device and wondered if anyone has done this. My thoughts were to use an aluminum cup holder the size of a water or pop bottle (don't want big cups with lids in the car) and attach one of these devices to each cup holder with a heat sink and fan on it. Then insulate it all, except the heat sink/fan. These are available in some Escalade's, dodges and other cars, but to buy one is about $800 from a dealer.

I had also thought about using a coil of copper tubing and winding it around the cup holder and pump some type of antifreeze through it, but that seems like a lot of work.

You can reverse the polarity and turn it into a heater, but I don't drink hot stuff and it's a summer car.

So, anyone made something like this? Thoughts? Ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't seen any aftermarket ones, except cheap little things that plug into the lighter. People appear to have used the cheap peltiers from ebay/amazon with decent results for other projects. I doubt it would be able to keep a drink really cold, but maybe keep it from getting hot. If I could make a cuo holder with a flat spot on the outside to attach the thing to and insulate around it and make it just big enough for say a 20 ounce bottle. I think heat dissipation would be the issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You'll have to put a fan and a heatsink on the hot side for it to work properly. I've used these for a variety of cooling projects, and you have to use something like a CPU heatsink to keep the hot side properly cooled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts