Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is possible or has been done already but thinking about a coil pack setup gave me some ideas.

Would it be possible to energize a rotor with 12v (or any amount to act as a trigger, or use as a ground of needs be), and then route wire from the distributor cap from its posts to the cooresponding coil pack, and use the traditional distributor setup as a trigger for the coil packs?

I know they have aftermarket Coilpack setups for the Optispark units on the LT1s but dont those act in essentially the same way?

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
The amperage required to jump the gap at such a low voltage would eat the rotor and the cap.

Remember Ohm's law.;)

·
brains
1,009 Posts
Very interesting, so it would be like having coil packs but with a mechanical distributor. Your idea would work, you would have to make some sort of a electronic converter to change the voltage at each spark plug wire down to 12 volts, so you didnt fry your coil packs. This would be easier then trying to build your own cap and rotor for 12 volt direct contact. I have made my own caps in the past and its not easy.

Ben

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could the rotor setup instead be used to act as the ground breaker and possibly use that as a signal to fire? Almost like a momentary switch where when the rotor contacts the point on the cap, its grounded, causing the coilpack to open (fire) and then closing again once the rotor has moved past its point.

70sport, one reason being just sheer curiousity, however seeing the trend of modern cars going towards a coil pack setup leads me to believe there is something beneficial to them. At higher RPM's one coil simply doesn't have the time to charge enough to deliever the same amount of spark as it can at a lower RPM.

Multiple coils helps eliminate this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.