Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I won an ebay auction for a 74 coupe deville. But I am going to have to haul it back here about 270 miles. I have access to a fullsize truck that can probably handle the load. I was wondering if the uhaul trailers would take it. I know they don't rate that high, but will they take it. They are rated to 4000. The coupe deville weighs a good bit more than that, but it should fit. I checked the wheelbase and width. Would you reccomend a dolly?

If not I may be forced to see if I can get a tow truck driver I know to go get it. I just don't want to know what that would cost me.

The other option is to go out there and install the th400 I have that is good. That would be its own kind of fun. I would need to bring a tranny jack and some way of lifting the car high enough to get it under there. I would probably get extra hotrodder points for doing it that way. But then I would still have to hope I could get it home.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I would vote extra points for anyone who drives 270 miles to install a trans in an unknown car in an unknown environment.

Maybe we could all vote for you for President.

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
Yea get the U-hual or borrow a trailer.
The way he said unknown environment makes me picture you under the car puttin in the tranny in a rundown trailer court(like on cops)and come out to find your truck on blocks with no doors or stereo.:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I double checked and it may not fit on the uhaul trailer after all. I sure don't like the idea, but it is looking more and more like I will need to install the tranny. That or if I can scrounge a trailer wide enough. According to one site the 74s are 80 inches wide. The uhaul trailer will take up to 79.25 outside of tire to outside of tire width. That would be really tight, but looking at the pictures of the 74, the tires set in just enough that it it might go.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It won't fit on a uhaul trailer. They are only about 15' long. My '55 Ford truck maxed out the trailer with the front wheels on the lip and the rear wheels on the edge. They also only have a rated towing capacity of about 3500 lbs. andthey weigh 3000 lbs. so your truck will have to have a very hefty towing capacity. You also need a class 3 hitch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the trailer experience I have I wouldn't push it. When they put a weight rating on a trailer. It is there for a reason, sure it may look ok when you have it loaded. But the minute you hit a bump or pot hole at 65mph. You can bend an axle, spindle, or even the subframe.

Trust me it is not a pretty thing when the subframe bends or cracks in half from being overloaded. U-Haul may have their own rating, but sometimes I even wonder if they are pushing the numbers, I say this judged by the uhaul trailers i have seen in my area.

If I were you I would look for an actual trailer dealership in your area and see if they will rent you a trailer that has at least two 3500k axles underneath it. This way, no worries. Plus half the time the lights and electrical don't work those damn things.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
U-Haul is a pain. First off they ask what you are going to be pulling. Then what you are going to be pulling with, then where you are going with the trailer. If it is out of state, forget it. If you are not set up for electric brakes, forget it. The dollies they have will only tow a compact and not a full size vehicle. If you have somethong like a Blazer (smaller size) but with a tow package forget it. I was offered a '62 Impala in Tennesse but could not come up with the right combo to get it so I had to let it go. It was completely gutted out with no doghouse but they still go by the weight of the vehicle as it was new. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you get it.

Kevin

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tyman00 said:
If I were you I would look for an actual trailer dealership in your area and see if they will rent you a trailer that has at least two 3500k axles underneath it. This way, no worries. Plus half the time the lights and electrical don't work those damn things.
I have found one maybe 70 miles away that sells what I need for about 900. It has the two 3500 pound rated axles. If I could get it, I could easily sell it for what I am into it for. I would need to add a couple of come alongs and what not to secure the deville.

They have a nicer one. but it is about 500 dollars more. If I could swing it, it might be a better investment. And the CDV would surely fit on this one. It looks pretty good for the money. It is more a matter of being able to swing the deal. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33653&item=2470884633

There is one or two places in town I have not checked. I might even have to rent a truck if the one I can borrow is not up to the task. And come to think of it, I just thought of a friend who may have access to a trailer.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,878 Posts
Down Interstate 70 is a place off the Williamsburg exit that sells trailers he builds himself. You can get a 16x72 with Electric brakes and two 3500 axles or a 18x83 with two 7000 pounds axles and brakes for 700 and 900 respectively. PM me and I can give you exact directions. He also build them custom to you specs for nothing more than what he would charge.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks johnsongrass1, sounds like a great deal, but I am closer to the springfield location of the ebay seller I posted. But I may keep it in mind.

What about a tow bar? Assuming I can get a truck that will do it, would a tow bar work for the big caddy for that long of a trip? Would I still need to disconect the drive shaft? I assume so, but considering I am going to replace the tranny anyway would it matter much if I just put it in nuetral. The reason I ask about a tow bar is because most of the tow dollys I have checked online stop at about 4500 pounds more or less.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up deciding to hire it out. I am paying 400 dollars for a flat bed truck to dirve out there and back to pick up the Coupe deville. It is about 530 miles. And I don't have to lift a finger till it gets here. Hopefully if I get to work on it tuesday I can have it up and running that day. I figure a day to put in a tranny is reasonable. I'll probably rent a tranny jack and hope the jack stands I am getting will lift it high enough.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
What I wish??

I wish I had YOUR money!! For $400 you could buy a Dolly and have it for the next Caddy you bought??? But then again you would have to lift a finger...I see where your coming from!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Re: What I wish??

tm454 said:
I wish I had YOUR money!! For $400 you could buy a Dolly and have it for the next Caddy you bought??? But then again you would have to lift a finger...I see where your coming from!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
One, this way it gets here on a day I work. That means once my weekend starts, I can start to wrenching instead of start hauling.
Two, I will have plenty of finger lifting and wrenching to do when it gets here.
Three, I took out a loan to get this car here and running. Maybe not the smartest thing I ever did. So it ain't my money getting the car here. It is my banks money getting it here.

Once I get my welding skills up, I am going to build a dolly. And it will be stout enough for the big caddies. Lets face it, the transporting ain't the fun part. I hate hauling trailers, well more specifically backing them up. Working on it when it gets here is what I enjoy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts