Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys have some good ones, please post them.

I'll get this started with one that happened to me on Monday night.

I was coming back from a friends house around 8:00 on Monday night, I needed to get home and write a history paper. My phone rings while I'm 1/2 way home, I didn't look at the caller ID. I answered it, "Hello." I get "Mike, I had an accident, I wrecked the Bird, I need your help man!" The guy on the phone was in panic mode. After I asked "who is this?" about four times I got an answer. It was my friend from my neighborhood, Andrew, he's 16, spent all his hard earned money on this clean 92 Firebird a few months ago, and the poor guy had an accident (which turned out to not be his fault.) His driver side fender got waffled in, and there was some damage to the front bumper.

Anyway, his hood won't shut because it's hitting the hideaway headlight which can't go down because of the damage. Andrew wants to know if he can bring the car to my house tonight so we can get it road worthy since he needs it for work and school the next day.

I told him yea, I'll be home in ten minutes, bring it up. Knowing that I just screwed myself out of the time I needed to write that paper.

I worked on his car for two hours before I got it to the point where the headlight could close and the hood would shut. Lots of time undoing the headlight assembly, prying/pulling, and putting the whacked headlight in a place where it it cleared going up and down. But I got it done. And he owes me big time. I got that history paper done too, at about 1 AM.

He was over on Thursday night watching me work on the white car, and I made him clean the garage with the shop vac, lol.

Ok that was one of my "good ones." Your turn

·
Registered
290 Posts
On the spot

I used to Ghetto, but it got to the point family members would ask you to fix something for them because the dealer wanted too much but they expect you to do it for nothing. My Mom & Dad, yeah anytime, everbody else I quit. Now during football season especially when the Steelers are on I take the phone off the hook!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
everyone i know knows that i'll break something twice before i get it right.:mwink: :smash: hence the lack of maintenence requests by those who know me. you'd be surprised how many people don't know me that should.
paint your car? sure.:thumbup:

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
No offence to your friend but School comes 1st. While you did get the paper done, would it have gotten a better grade if you spent more time on it?

I will help my friends repair their cars but only if they are helpful when I need a hand.

I helped many friends fix their cars, computers, tvs and do repairs on their houses. When I decided to move to Winnipeg not one person could find time to help me pack. They could not find time in their busy day to help for even an hour. Looking back I guess they were not really friends.

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
I have FEW family members and friends. They all say "Any time you need anything, just call me, I'll be there to help you". When the time comes that you need help with something, the easiest way to get the help you need is to hire a stranger. Now if I could only practice what I preach, I could get a lot of things done around my place. What I mean by that, is that I am always doing for the others. Me and my big mouth saying that I will be there for them if they need anything. My word is my bond..... as it should be, but I don't seem to get the return help when I ask for it. I am really trying to learn what NO means, but I just can't say it.

Al

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gr8 '48 bow tie said:
I have FEW family members and friends. They all say "Any time you need anything, just call me, I'll be there to help you". When the time comes that you need help with something, the easiest way to get the help you need is to hire a stranger. Now if I could only practice what I preach, I could get a lot of things done around my place. What I mean by that, is that I am always doing for the others. Me and my big mouth saying that I will be there for them if they need anything. My word is my bond..... as it should be, but I don't seem to get the return help when I ask for it. I am really trying to learn what NO means, but I just can't say it.

Al
I tell close friends the same thing, but I've been fortunate thus far. None of them have ever let me down, as I have never let any of them down. I feel strongly about my word, it reflects on who I am. But I'm looking forward to my older years, when friends need me to help them move or build something. Instead of needing me to unmangle their cars or show up somewhere because a group of guys are going to beat one of my friends up.

CET said:
No offence to your friend but School comes 1st. While you did get the paper done, would it have gotten a better grade if you spent more time on it?
Fortunately I aced that paper, history classes are a strong point of mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I try to shy away from that, first off i try not to let anyone know that i know what im doing (even myself, hehe), so that first off they dont bother with silly things, such as...how to i take out my headlight bulbs? But one time, at band camp...ok seriously; one time, my friend got a k&n intake system for his durango and he asked if i would help him do it so he wouldnt have to pay someone to do it. yes i know, quite possible the easiest install to do. lets put it this way, his mother bought the truck, and it was still under lease, so she wouldnt let me do any of the work...she said if somthing fouls up it is going to be my friends fault through and through. So basicly it was time for ANDREW THE SUPERVISOR! Im not too good at explaining myself, so instead of a 30min install it took 9 HOURS! can you believe that?...almost as long as it took to read this post! :smash:

yeah i could have left, but thats not the american way :nono:

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
I tell them that I am booked up thru next summer (the truth is I AM). If they can wait till then I'll work on their cars or whatever. Problem is, they are waiting. I have 16 people on my waiting list, some waiting since more than a year ago. I'm retired and I still dont have the time to all the work I have to do!
I feel fortunate that when I got injured and couldnt walk almost 5 years ago, people that I had done favors for came thru and helped us out. Now I'm back on my feet (slower than before) but I work at home now and they know I charge labor for my work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My cousin cheated Chuck out of the money he owed for work Chuck did. My cousin wanted Chuck to do some engine work on his early '80's Astro van (which was so old it was held together with spit and bailing wire, because my cousin was too cheap to get a new one). It needed major work, which would cost a pretty penny at the dealership or garage, so of course Chuck being the nice guy that he is said he'd do it for about half the cost. When all was said and done, and the van didn't run the way my cousin thought it should (and he knows NOTHING about cars) he refused to pay Chuck even for the parts. Long and short of it, after two months my Dad guilted my cousin into paying for the parts, but we will now have nothing to do with him or any of his family. Too bad, too, because I got along really well with his wife. The real kicker? My cousin ended up taking the van to his "mechanic" and paid twice as much for the work they did, most of which they didn't even do, because Chuck already did it. I guess he got his just dessert.

Moral of the story? Never do favours for family members unless they are your parents or siblings and even then you have to use great discretion about what you will and will not do. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassles.

Chickie.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Constantly, and not just cars. Washer/driers, lawnmowers, bicycles, tractors, appliances, household wiring, anything that might be welded, just about anything but a broken heart or the crack in their butts.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Ghetto,that was pretty decent thing to do Just do not let people abuse your knowledge.I always charge friends,even if they "help".
Family I will always help out.Simply because the ones that I help out will not forget it and will help me out at anytime that I may need it.The worst FREE job I did,was my brothers timing chain in his OHC 4X4 Explorer.You have to pull the engine out to do the right bank sprocket and chain.My step dad said I saved him so much money doing that job,so he went and bought the Voyager for my wife.I got a well taken care of van,with most options and lowmiles for that job.
My Grandfather passed in April,he knew it was time,so he wrote out a list for all the kids and grandkids to do.I am the one who takes care of my Grandmothers car.Out of all the men,I am the only one that works on cars.Of course his garage is well stocked with most things for her car.If I have to buy parts,I just tell her that it was purchased awile back and I had it at my house.Cant have her spending what little bit of money she has on car parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts