Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forms. Thanks for having me.

Me and a few friends wanted to run a rat-rod building competition. We'd like to have three teams of enthusiasts try to build their own ratrods. The thing we can't settle on is: how much time do the teams need? In theory, how fast could you build something if you had the necessary tools and parts within range.

And, how would you even the playing field... should every team start with a a chassis and an engine that's the same. Everything else is up for grabs that must be scrounged or bought for cheap?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

M

·
More for Less Racer
19,344 Posts
With some of the rat-rod quality I've seen around, a crew of capable guys (4 or 5 man teams with rod builder experience) with a running engine and trans(no computer crap, old school carb) left with a pile or 2"x3" rectangle tubing and a front and rear axle and access to the rest of the needed parts could do it in one long weekend if they've got all the right tools...

It would likely be an ugly mutt, with no real aesthetics or theme and no creature comforts, but would be a running, driving rod.....the kind of crap I hate seeing. All garish and distasteful, looking like they dragged a large electromagnet behind a tractor through a junkyard and used everything the magnet sucked up to build the car.
No character, no class, just rolling junk.

It takes a lot of thought and a good eye to come out with a "rat-rod" that isn't an embarrassment to the mind of the onlooker.

·
More for Less Racer
19,344 Posts
Extra credit for whoever finishes first?
No, only extra credit for the one that isn't an embarrassment to the eye to look at. :D:D

Getting it done first means nothing if it is drop dead junky looking.

I guess may a three or six month, or a year time limit...AND a judging panel for best engineering award and most pleasing to look at award would be criteria for a contest I'd want to be associated with.

No tractor grills, no S-10 Chassis or Mustang II front suspension allowed unless covered by fenders so it can't be seen, no spider web anything.

·
Global Moderator
9,746 Posts
Hi, new to the forms. Thanks for having me.

Me and a few friends wanted to run a rat-rod building competition. We'd like to have three teams of enthusiasts try to build their own ratrods. The thing we can't settle on is: how much time do the teams need? In theory, how fast could you build something if you had the necessary tools and parts within range.

And, how would you even the playing field... should every team start with a a chassis and an engine that's the same. Everything else is up for grabs that must be scrounged or bought for cheap?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

M
Mike: Are you doing this for a TV show in Canada ?

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
I don't get the "rat rod" thing, just don't get it. Hell, many of them look like they were built during lunch hour they are so rough, I don't get it.

Brian

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Rat Rod

Some rat rods I have seen look bad, sound engineering, others look bad...are bad.

To do a competition build there must be a set of rules AND test.

First is time limit, most people work for a living so you must agree on 3-6 months.

Second is starting point such as frame, drivetrain and suspension BEFORE the competition begins.

Third but first is safety. Outside inspector determines the safety of the finished product...you lose if it's not safe...period.

Fourth is judge of final product, again by and outside PANEL this time. This is the one subjective area so a panel is necessary.

Last is test. Entrants must drive (about)300 miles to a show. Points for getting there in one piece, no troubles, and did you get a trophy at the event. If it wasn't fun you lose!

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
This show had rat rod building competitions for a free welder! Hot Rod also had a 30 day competitions for 3000 dollars! I watched Rat Rod TV a lot , its a pretty good show ! I have a friend "Bondo Bob" that can throw together a Rat Rod in 30 days by himself!! But he has all the skills and training and equipment to do it on a budget with swap meet parts and a junkyard motor and trans and differential. 30 days seems like plenty of time to test one persons skills and abilitys to through together a rat rod but a test is needed at the end of the build for drive-ability and safety (not LOOKS!!!)

Jester

·
More for Less Racer
19,344 Posts
https://youtu.be/8Uw1oxorjwI

This lad does one day builds with many friends helping.

Listen closely to his comments; it will help plan your builds.

There is more than one build of his on his channel.

Sounds like fun........... don't mind the naysayers.
That's NOT a ratrod…..that's tossing a used engine in the jankity old truck Uncle Elmer has put to pasture behind the barn.

It's rusty and ratty looking,.... and that's as close as it gets to being any kind of build.....frame was done and rolling, with a working suspension on both ends, steering column and shaft were already there and hooked up, brake master and pedal all mounted.
Heard him mention some new brake lines....but nothing about bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends springs,

That's just putting an old clunker back into "field beater" mode....no build about it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts