Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good head and cam combo to use to update my stock 350. The heads on it are junk and i want to know if anyone has any suggestions to help me acheive my power goal of 350hp. Thanks, Phil

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
some stock heads can get you over 350hp. The cheapest way to go for you would probably be a set of camelhumps or a set of ported 305HO heads- depending on your piston. You cam choice depends a lot on the rest of your combo and application. Details would help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
202 heads

i would throw on some 195 cc heads with a 2.02valve and a .goodcama roller is expensive,,,but just look up combos on th enet.... some peoples say a 195 is too big,,, but who cares? vortecs are a good head... depends on what you want and how many $ you want to throw at it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info on the engine

The casting number on the heads on the engine right now is 3986339. i also have a set of heads #462624 adn a set of heads 333882. The engine is bone stock other than a 600cfm edelbrock carb and a torker alluminum intake.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
All three of the casting numbers given are junk heads. The torker is also the wrong intake for your combo. A torker is a open plane intake meant for upper RPM performance. Street machines need a dual plane intake that provides better throttle response and low end torque. I would go with Vortec heads which will give you a 40 horse increase. You`ll also need self aligning rocker arms and a Vortec intake. Swap these pieces on and you`ll be shocked at the power difference. Stab in a cam with around .218 to .224 duration @ .050 and the low end power will set you back in the seat.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
If you have a budget then a torker intake will do fine, My only guggestion would be to tun a 1" spacer and blend the upper portion of the intake into it, the low profile hurts it but can be helped a lot by doing this.

350hp is so easy to achieve I don't see any reason for going overkill.

Its not my money, but if it were mine I would try to be more frugal with it especially in light of the simple goals.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Use this combo I had it on my 350 it will make close to 400 horsepower with good torque go and purchase a set of vortec heads u can find some at a junkyard casting 906 or 062 a dual plane intake I used a professional product crosswind airgap it cost about $160 to 170 with a comp extreme energy 274 hydralic cam with long tube headers compression around 9.1 with 650 double pump carb it will run good with strong torque and sound good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.