Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MOPAR Guy
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been looking for headers for MOPAR big Blocks, and frankly, I'm confused. I have no experience or knowledge about headers. So my question is almost a poll: What is the best brand of headers? Which is the most bang for the buck? Which ones should I stay away from? What characteristics do I look for if my engine is built for street, strip, or oval track? :confused:

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mopar Big Block Headers

:welcome: I've had a 1964 Sport Fury for 30 some years now . When I was much younger I put some 2" Kustom Fenderwell Headers on it . The heads are ported HUGE and I had a lot to trouble with Blowin Header Gaskets . If It was me again I would of never put em On . It looks Cool and All but the leak most of the time ! About five years ago I bought some Copper gaskets but I had to make the sealing area so small it Blows em Out About every Thousand Miles . Now I hardly drive it and I wish I never did it . I have Big Holes in the Inner Fenders and I Just Wish I Never Did it .Mopar had Some Real Good Performace Manifilds. Please Consider this before doing it .I might save ya a lot of headache if ya plan to keep this car ! ! Al :sweat: :pain: :(

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
You are talking $ 120 to $ 1000 dollars. Most of us are geared to dollars.

"Bad headers are better than cast iron."

Stepped tubes are good.
Flow cones are good.
Tri-Ys are good.
4 into 2 into 1 are best, in my opinion.
Shorties are good.

I'd go for stepped tubes.
I'd stay as small diameter tube and collector as feesible for street driving.
I'd go for ceramic coated for longevity.
Look for 3/8 thick flanges.
Heavy gauge pipe.

Don't forget header extensions of 14-18" length before necking down.

As a generalization I would say Hooker Super Comps designed for your vehicle are the across the board winners..... maybe not the best in every application,,,,,, but the across the board winners, if you need a blanket endorsement.
There are several good manufacturers.

If I had lots of money, I would go for 4-2-1 and ceramic coated :D.

We used 4-2-1 with the ancient 1960 long ram dual quads on a 440 Magnum with a 292/509 purple shaft and it wound past 6000 just as fast as it did 3000. Everybody that saw run it had eyes bugging out of their heads that looked like coffee cups. :thumbup:

Too much BS about long rams that won't pull past 5000 rpm..... :nono:

Also, fabricating a bracket from the collector to the trans to support the weight and pendelum action of the headers goes a long way to preventing blown gaskets and warped flanges.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
As long as you're not doing a lot of work on the exhaust ports of your heads most header brands will seal just fine. Dougs, Hooker, and Headman are the old time standards when it comes to Mopar headers but there are some new manufacturers that are making some nice ones too. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Headers

After doing a lot of research on headers I found out that Hooker advertises that their headers are tuned and I have not seen this with many of the other guys. Hooker has the reputation and they win lots of awards for their headers. Good luck with your adventure :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.