Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have this Suzuki DOHC K10A engine, head gasket which is made of 3 layers of thin stainless steel riveted together, the two outer facings are coated with this black stuff that looks and feels like teflon or something alike, there is nothing in between the polished layers.

My common sense tells me this gasket should be installed dry, as it comes, but this mechanic told me that it needs to be dressed with shellac.

I know copper and steel gaskets need shellac but this one is already coated with something that looks better, what do you guys think?

Augusto.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Augusto said:
Hi there,

I have this Suzuki DOHC K10A engine, head gasket which is made of 3 layers of thin stainless steel riveted together, the two outer facings are coated with this black stuff that looks and feels like teflon or something alike, there is nothing in between the polished layers.

My common sense tells me this gasket should be installed dry, as it comes, but this mechanic told me that it needs to be dressed with shellac.

I know copper and steel gaskets need shellac but this one is already coated with something that looks better, what do you guys think?

Augusto.
No goo!

Bogie

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
When you tore it apart, and went to clean the surfaces, they should have had some of that black sealant on them. Use nothing on that new head gasket. I have one going together tomorrow just like it.

If it is a 'torque to yield' head bolt tightening sequence, be sure to replace the head bolts.

The one I am working on is.

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told at the dealership's shop that the head bolt torque for this K10A Suzi engine is 43 ft/pounds... I don't know for sure but that's what I was going to use.

Augusto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.