Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
A 2 hump insignia on the front and rear of the casting.
Last 3 digit casting numbers were
461X
Other casting numbers identical to the double humps that had right angle insignia`s were:
041X
The double hump heads were also known as "baby butt" and "camel hump" heads. You can go on ebay and find these heads all day long, however, they are outdated technology compared to a Vortec head. Many guys will claim a engine has "camel hump heads" when there just stock heads, and they were not used after the 1970 model years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More On The Meaning

The term double humped head, what is the mechanical different ?

Why would I want a double humped head versus a non humped head ?

Thanks..

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
The smogger heads of 1971 and later had larger 74 to 76cc combustion chambers, resulting in a nice drop in compression ratio, the larger chambers were also not as efficient as the older camel humps. the camel humps had 64cc chambers, the real early 461 heads had around 60 to 61cc chambers. In most smogger castings they were somewhat light and were quite more crack prone. The camel humps that came on high performance chevrolets had 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves, the X models had 5cc bigger intake runners.
The intermediate camel humps came with 1.94 intake 1.50 exhaust valves.
I don`t know if your new to learn this or not, but if your considering getting camel humps don`t waste your time. In the money you`ll spend getting them back in usable shape will cost you more than a new set of vortec heads, vortec heads make 30 more horses than do the older camel humps. Vortec heads have 170cc runners compared to the 160 of the camel humps, and they have 64cc heart shaped chambers that are far more effiecient. Vortec heads also have a redesigned intake runner that flows far better, flow is power.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
my55 said:
The term double humped head, what is the mechanical different ?

Why would I want a double humped head versus a non humped head ?

Thanks..
The double hump etc were just the casting marks on the end of the heads. The name just stuck because it was an easy way to identify them. They were the Hi-Perf heads that Chevy was making at the time. Aftermarket heads available now have much more potential.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies...

I was asking because a car I may buy, had the double humped head listed in the ad.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
All SBC engines had some sort of casting mark on the end of the heads. The "Double humps" in most years were the highest performance head. All double humps are not the same. there are many different configurations. The casting number is a more accurate indicator of what heads you have.

Here is a picture, you can see the 2 humps on the end of the head.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Humm I gave those away...

Just last month on a 283 block..in fact it was in a 76 p/u
Just that I couldn't run the engine with a powerguild trans running around town with stop n go traffic as the engine liked to go fast all the time..It seem to run better that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts