Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chevy 350 SBC that's on my airboat. At the time I had a 305 on it just to use as a mock up motor to build the engine stand. I bought some shorty block hugger headers to go on the 350. I put them up to the 305 to make sure they'll work and they did fit. I then put my 350 on the boat and now one side fits but the other side's header is hitting the motor mount. It's only about 1/2-1" off. Are the motor mounts different for each side? Do I have the mount on backwards (wrong sides). If not, is it possible to heat the header up and bend it aout of the way? Or do they sell any type of mount that will work in this situation? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hit it with a really big hammer! Ok, probably a bad idea. Depending on what headers you have, you might have quite a fit trying to get it to bend. It's hard to see whats going on through text. can you upload a picture of where it's hitting the mount? Maybe we'll be able to identify a solution for you if we could see a picture.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My experience isn't going to solve your problem, however, I have a pair of those stainless steel hugger type headers and they hit my left stock SBC style rubber and steel motor mount. This is in the mock up stage and it will only require I do a little grinding on the mount.

In order to move forward here, you need to try something. Can you borrow a different header to try? What motor mounts do you have? Stock Chevy's? Do you have after-market heads?

I'l look for your pix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK...Well I don't know how to change the size to show it clearly but maybe y'all can figure somethin' out. I really want these headers to work, cuz it determines what size flex pipe and glasspacks to buy. My motor mounts and heads are stock. I don't know how to describe the mounts other than they look like a metal "U" shape, bolted to the block. The collectors on the headers come down in the middle of the block to about as far as the mounts, maybe a lil farther. One side slears by about an inch and the other touches just enough to not allow it to slide by and line up. The collectors end up being right behind the mount and closer to the motor than the mounts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL I got it to fit. I tried using the torch, but when it ran out of oxygen, I just beat the crap out of the mount and header. It barely fits, but it don't touch and you can't see where I bent it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just for future refrence, sometimes a few exhaust gaskets stacked on the side thats giving you clearence problems will save you bashing and heating.But like a lot of things in this life "its easy to be wise after the event" anyway enjoy your 350 power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same issue with a 350cid in a jeep wrangler. The driverside motor mount interferes by about a half inch. I am wondering if someone offers a replacement mount that would give clearance...otherwise, there is some grinding to be done. I really dont want to go back to stock manifolds

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same issue with a 350cid in a jeep wrangler. The driverside motor mount interferes by about a half inch. I am wondering if someone offers a replacement mount that would give clearance...otherwise, there is some grinding to be done. I really dont want to go back to stock manifolds

I am also wondering if header wrap will keep plug boots from burning, because they r really close...1/4" or less

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
mgrg1356. The post you replied to is almost 7 years old. I would suggest starting a new thread to get a better audience for your questions.
AND just to answer one of them. Stay away from header wrap on a street driven vehicle. The wrap will drastically shorten the life of your headers. There are plug boot covers available thru Summit or Jegs that will do a better job then wrap.
Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.