Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i have a 1987 motorhome with a Ford 460 engine, the header gasket is leaking really bad and need to change it, the problem is the bolts are seized solid and i am sure they will break if i wrench to hard on them, do you think heating the head around the bolt will be okay to do? not sure if heating a cast head in a specific spot is a good idea, any thoughts or alternative ideas.
Scotty

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,813 Posts
Heat the bolt, it’ll expand, hit it with whatever rust penetrative you have laying around. Do it again and it should come out. The heat expands it, the rust stuff cools it and contracts the stud, the rusty breaker will get sucked into it by capillary action, breaking the corrosion bond.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
they will probably break.
my buddy does mobile welding and bolt removal and he has done many many Ford 460 exhaust manifold bolts.
he would try heating the bolt head till dull red, and spraying with mixture of ATF and toluene.

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,046 Posts
Get one of these and grind a tool to just have a flat end rather than a cutting end then beat the s*** out of the head of the bolt. It's worked for me four or five times in the last few years. If you have the room put a box end on the bolt and try turning it at the same time you are hammering the head.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the tip,
my buddy does mobile welding and bolt removal and he has done many many Ford 460 exhaust manifold bolts.
he would try heating the bolt head till dull red, and spraying with mixture of ATF and toluene.
going to try it tomorrow, i don't have any toluene but do have penetrating oil,

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get one of these and grind a tool to just have a flat end rather than a cutting end then beat the s*** out of the head of the bolt. It's worked for me four or five times in the last few years. If you have the room put a box end on the bolt and try turning it at the same time you are hammering the head.

[/URL]
going to try the heat and penetrating oil first tomorrow, if that won't do it i will grind the punch end flat and give it ago, the darn angle of the bolt head is behind the front shock, if plan A fails i will remove the shock and try the impact method, i like it, thanks

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
Would those tips work/be safe on aluminium heads?
You wouldn't want to hit the head itself, just the bolt. Should it "slip" it would likely make some ugly peen marks on aluminum...

Russ

Nevermind, I thought you were speaking of the "tip" of the hammer tool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts