Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's looking like I'll need a set of headers built for my truck. Does anyone have any recommendations for shops that would be capable of building me a set from measurments I take then fax or email? If any board members here have a shop that does this work please send me a PM and a link to your website.

Also, if you have a ball park guesstimate of the cost that'd be appreciated. I just need painted steel; no 800$ stainless sets for me.

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
Sanderson sells plains steel headers (and the coated ones). The plain ones for my truck are $265 and the ceramic coated are $150 more. No clue what yours would be since mine is a Y-block.

They will also make custom ones for odd applications.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/custom_built_headers.php

As far as someone just custom making them, I would bet that whoever does it would need the vehicle in house to do it.

Do you have a MiG? Buy some mandrel bent tubing from summit racing and the correct flanges and make your own. I have never done it, but they do it on TV. :mwink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Headers are not hard to make unless you need equal length tubes then it gets complicated. Buy header flanges and some prebent tubes. Hedman has them. You can tack weld them and then have them tig welded or mig weld them yourself.
Bob

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
onovakind67 said:
What kind of truck? What engine? Stock front clip? Other things in the way?
Sorry, should have added this

I have access to a cheapie MIG machine and an oxy-acy tank (that I don't know how to use). If I can get the tube and flanges I can make all the cuts and I think tack it up, then take it in to a shop. I'm just guessing the cost of tubing and the amount I'll waste because I'm inexperienced will be cost prohibitive.

If I try it, where can I get the tubing locally? I wouldn't wan't to order online for anything other than the flanges and collectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.