Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a 68 nova with a stock 327 block and some hedman block hugger headers. He's having a problem with exhaust leaks where the header flange meets the heads. I checked today and it appears he has some copper gaskets, but you can feel the hot air coming out the leak is so bad. Does anybody know of some gasket options I can give him or a trick to fix what he's got. Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Gaskets

Doc here:pimp:

Mr Gasket makes a Gasket with an embossed Crush "O" ring around the ports..you might try here:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1346&prmenbr=361

If you don't already have them.

You may want to check the exhaust mounts for loose and broken hangers, anything that can shake a lot. This applies to your engine mounts too..

Also you might want to check the header surface for major warps with a steel rule and feeler gauge..

You might want to change (if not already) your header bolts to studs, and use anti seize or loctite on the studs/bolts.

Good luck!

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am using Earls Performance plumbing(a division of Holley) gaskets and I am VERY happy with them. The type I am running is the aluminum plate with the replaceable graphite inserts. They are pricey, but the havnt leaked in over a year. I ran the copper ones previously and they only lasted 3 or 4 months, and after changing them twice I switched. Its nice because if they leak it is simple to just replace the inserts.

Subman

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
subman17 said:
I am using Earls Performance plumbing(a division of Holley) gaskets and I am VERY happy with them. The type I am running is the aluminum plate with the replaceable graphite inserts. They are pricey, but the havnt leaked in over a year.
Ditto on the Earls. I put them on my 91' GTA because with the Edelbrock TES, things are very tight on the back of the engine bay and I wasn't up for changing gaskets too often. Long story short, over three years now and 80k miles and still NO leaks. They are worth every penny.

Now, if you plan on removing your headers often, note that the inserts will stick and tear; and replacement inserts are about $25 a pair. I know this because I was running them on my Camaro as well.

Give them a try. Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.