Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
header gasket question hear.... I recently replaced the header gaskets on my 350(not the collector gaskets). I torqued them down again when the motor was at operating temp. The problem I'm having is the header bolt still work they're way loose. Can I use a type of thread-locker to fix this problem? Any suggestions to keep these bolts tight, are appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
906 Posts
markzepp820,

You could use a thread locking chemical but I think the best way to go is with an exhaust header washer. These are made a little thicker than a regular washer and they have a slight convex profile. So when you tighten the bolt you "flatten" the washer and it tries to spring back to it's starting shape. This keeps the bolt tight so it will not back out. Also I think the washer itself expands as it gets hot so that too helps keep the threads "bound" up so the bolt will not loosen.

Good Luck
Scholman

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
The problem your having is not that the bolts are coming loose but that your using a paper style gasket that compresses with heat and time.

If you order at Autozone/Advance a set of gaskets from Fel-Pro... they come in a small box and can be dropped in with out taking the bolts out of your headers... (order them for a 72 camaro) or somthing similar to that. NOT header gaskets...(cast iron exhaust manifold style.)
They are made from steel with a sealing surface on the back. They won't compress as easily and will last ALOT longer. And if one does leak you can replace it very easy.

If you continue to have problems there's a set of header bolts called "stage 8"
They lock the bolts in place with a washer.

I would not recomend using thread locking compound.. You might not get them back out!!!
Good luck,
Scott~

·
Registered
906 Posts
markzepp820,

Well yes it is a type of lock washer but not the split or start types.
If you do use the stock replacement fel-pro style gasket then be sure to install them with the metal side toward the header.

Have fun
Scholman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts